'Man with the Iron Fists' is a letdown
Set in a small village in 19th century China, "The Man with the Iron Fists" tells the story of a corrupt clan of warriors led by Silver Lion who are out to destroy and take over a small village and seize a transport of gold from the government. It is up to the blacksmith (RZA), Jack Knife (Russell Crowe), and Zen Yi (Rick Yune) to stop the evildoers and bring peace to the village.
"The Man with the Iron Fists" seems like a movie that would strike my interest. I love Kung-Fu movies; I am a fan of the co-screenwriter (Eli Roth), and the movie itself looked really stylistic and entertaining. However, upon seeing this film, it was not something that really struck my interest at all.
The opening of the film started out with a brilliant fight sequence among some of the clans complete with flashy opening title credits and incorporating hip-hop music by RZA (the director, and main character), which really set a good mood. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter the story gets a bit confusing as to who the characters are and why they matter.
This movie, I believe, went a bit over the top with some of their fighting and "powers" that the warriors possessed. Normally I don't mind this kind of thing in movies such as these but some of the off the wall things that people can do in the movie really took me out of the story because I was unable to suspend my disbelief.
If you want to cut someone in half while in midair with a samurai sword, fine; I can handle that. However, when you have a character control an inanimate object with his "Chi" and get superman-like powers on command, then I think you are taking it a bit too far.
The costumes that were in the movie were very contemporary looking considering it took place in 19th century China. As far as the casting goes, I was most impressed with all of the Chinese actors. Their acting wasn't bad at all, and the Asian cast had excellent fight scenes. I cannot say the same, however, for the American cast.
RZA's character of the blacksmith was very boring and stale, even when you learned of his secret past, the character was still not impressive to me in the slightest.
RZA's acting is atrocious and it is quite evident that his talents lie within the music industry and not in motion pictures.
Russell Crowe's character was one of the more entertaining ones, and he was a much better actor than most of the cast. He didn't have many intricate fight scenes, which worked to this film's advantage because I don't see Russell Crowe being able to pull off any Kung-Fu like fighting sequences.
As I said before "The Man with the Iron Fists" has a good opening with the hip-hop track because I don't ever remember seeing a fight sequence like that go to that kind of music, but it becomes a bit overdone when RZA tries to put his music in every fight scene.
Don't get me wrong, though, the movie did have its good parts and a couple entertaining scenes.
But for the most part I wasn't impressed with "The Man with the Iron Fists." This is particularly a letdown because I normally really go for these kinds of movies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”