'Man with the Iron Fists' is a letdown
Set in a small village in 19th century China, "The Man with the Iron Fists" tells the story of a corrupt clan of warriors led by Silver Lion who are out to destroy and take over a small village and seize a transport of gold from the government. It is up to the blacksmith (RZA), Jack Knife (Russell Crowe), and Zen Yi (Rick Yune) to stop the evildoers and bring peace to the village.
"The Man with the Iron Fists" seems like a movie that would strike my interest. I love Kung-Fu movies; I am a fan of the co-screenwriter (Eli Roth), and the movie itself looked really stylistic and entertaining. However, upon seeing this film, it was not something that really struck my interest at all.
The opening of the film started out with a brilliant fight sequence among some of the clans complete with flashy opening title credits and incorporating hip-hop music by RZA (the director, and main character), which really set a good mood. Unfortunately, shortly thereafter the story gets a bit confusing as to who the characters are and why they matter.
This movie, I believe, went a bit over the top with some of their fighting and "powers" that the warriors possessed. Normally I don't mind this kind of thing in movies such as these but some of the off the wall things that people can do in the movie really took me out of the story because I was unable to suspend my disbelief.
If you want to cut someone in half while in midair with a samurai sword, fine; I can handle that. However, when you have a character control an inanimate object with his "Chi" and get superman-like powers on command, then I think you are taking it a bit too far.
The costumes that were in the movie were very contemporary looking considering it took place in 19th century China. As far as the casting goes, I was most impressed with all of the Chinese actors. Their acting wasn't bad at all, and the Asian cast had excellent fight scenes. I cannot say the same, however, for the American cast.
RZA's character of the blacksmith was very boring and stale, even when you learned of his secret past, the character was still not impressive to me in the slightest.
RZA's acting is atrocious and it is quite evident that his talents lie within the music industry and not in motion pictures.
Russell Crowe's character was one of the more entertaining ones, and he was a much better actor than most of the cast. He didn't have many intricate fight scenes, which worked to this film's advantage because I don't see Russell Crowe being able to pull off any Kung-Fu like fighting sequences.
As I said before "The Man with the Iron Fists" has a good opening with the hip-hop track because I don't ever remember seeing a fight sequence like that go to that kind of music, but it becomes a bit overdone when RZA tries to put his music in every fight scene.
Don't get me wrong, though, the movie did have its good parts and a couple entertaining scenes.
But for the most part I wasn't impressed with "The Man with the Iron Fists." This is particularly a letdown because I normally really go for these kinds of movies.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs finish with 10-win streak
- Civility Week promotes diversity
- Buctainment hosts Anthem Lights for end of semester concert
- Hopkins' series provokes emotion
- Speaker presents research on greek life and sexual assault
- South Asian Cultural Exchange celebrates Holi day
- Football stadium location may affect facilities
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now