ETSU isn't this cheerleaders stopping point
The 2010 Spring semesters saw many speakers, performers, entertainers and events. Photos contained on our front page are just a few of our favorite moments and events. In this photo, shirts hang across campus to represent the Take Back the Night ceremony. Joel Gerlach
At 20 years old, Alexandra Whitehead is a junior here at ETSU majoring in Business Management. Like many, she is originally from Elizabethton, Tenn. She decided to cheerlead here at ETSU for she had been doing it almost all of her life.
"This year will be my 15th year in cheerleading." Whitehead says. Which means she has been cheerleading for as long as she has been in school, "I was about 6 years old when I had started and just never stopped."
Before coming to ETSU, Coach Brittany Williams encouraged her to come to a few games here at ETSU to see if taking cheerleading into the college level was right for her. "I knew that after watching the cheerleaders during the games that I also wanted to make cheering at ETSU a goal of mine."
She feels that being able to continue her cheerleading career into college is an accomplishment as well. "My biggest accomplishment in cheerleading is having the honor of representing ETSU through my sport." Whitehead said.
Another goal that she has now that she is cheering for ETSU is to continue to improve personally as well as helping the team improve. "Going to tournament this year is another goal of mine. I didn't get to go last year because of an injury, but all the girls talked about how much fun it was so I'm looking forward to it!" Whitehead said.
Cheering for the games is something that she loves about cheering for ETSU, too, "I just absolutely love when the new season comes around and we can show off all the skills we have been working so hard on." She is also very thankful for all the lifelong friendships that she's made while being a member of the cheer squad. As for her goals after ETSU, "I would absolutely love to coach a high school squad one day!"
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- System recognizes gender spectrum
- ETSU Pride Band opens for Krüger Brothers
- Inclement weather makes it possible for editor to spend more time with...
- RTVF students to present original films
- Bucs end regular season with loss to Mercer
- ETSU split wins with visiting Butler
- Tennis dominates Tennessee Tech in convincing style
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone