ETSU isn't this cheerleaders stopping point
The 2010 Spring semesters saw many speakers, performers, entertainers and events. Photos contained on our front page are just a few of our favorite moments and events. In this photo, shirts hang across campus to represent the Take Back the Night ceremony. Joel Gerlach
At 20 years old, Alexandra Whitehead is a junior here at ETSU majoring in Business Management. Like many, she is originally from Elizabethton, Tenn. She decided to cheerlead here at ETSU for she had been doing it almost all of her life.
"This year will be my 15th year in cheerleading." Whitehead says. Which means she has been cheerleading for as long as she has been in school, "I was about 6 years old when I had started and just never stopped."
Before coming to ETSU, Coach Brittany Williams encouraged her to come to a few games here at ETSU to see if taking cheerleading into the college level was right for her. "I knew that after watching the cheerleaders during the games that I also wanted to make cheering at ETSU a goal of mine."
She feels that being able to continue her cheerleading career into college is an accomplishment as well. "My biggest accomplishment in cheerleading is having the honor of representing ETSU through my sport." Whitehead said.
Another goal that she has now that she is cheering for ETSU is to continue to improve personally as well as helping the team improve. "Going to tournament this year is another goal of mine. I didn't get to go last year because of an injury, but all the girls talked about how much fun it was so I'm looking forward to it!" Whitehead said.
Cheering for the games is something that she loves about cheering for ETSU, too, "I just absolutely love when the new season comes around and we can show off all the skills we have been working so hard on." She is also very thankful for all the lifelong friendships that she's made while being a member of the cheer squad. As for her goals after ETSU, "I would absolutely love to coach a high school squad one day!"
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Number of students housing on campus falls
- SGA pursues student parking rights on campus
- ETSU investigates rape allegations
- Album offers listeners stimulating experience
- CPA offers variety of yoga
- Documentary about toxins leaking into a community’s drinking water will be...
- ‘Blackfish’ questions animal captivity
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership