Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia reception today
A free reception will be held today from 5-7 p.m. at the Reece Museum featuring the exhibit of Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia.
For more than 30 years, Mike Smith, professor of art and head of the photography program at ETSU, has documented the environs of Johnson City. Diana C. Stoll, formerly the senior editor at Aperture magazine, has written of his work, " ... Smith is above all a visual thinker, and the unsettling power of his photography is in the equanimity with which he sees: what's ugly is also beautiful, a stain is an unintended pattern, a battered truck is an object of pride, a tangle of weeds is a mystery."
Smith has work included in the collections of major museums throughout the country including, but not limited to, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Whitney Museum of American Art, J. Paul Getty Museum of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and Art Institute of Chicago. A Guggenheim Fellow, Smith is also the recipient of the United States Artist Lowe Fellowship and the Tennessee Governors Award in the Arts (a lifetime achievement award).
Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia showcases 38 works from the past 10 years and reinforces what is already known by many - here is an artist who has earned a place in the forefront of contemporary American photography.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU Farmers’ Market seeks musicians for upcoming season
- Guitarist will perform at ETSU
- 14 students attend open forums about Culp renovation
- Senate passes resolution allowing students to write on office window
- ETSU tennis team 2-0 in Southern Conference
- Lady Bucs end season with loss to NC State
- ETSU announces stadium location
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...