Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia reception today
A free reception will be held today from 5-7 p.m. at the Reece Museum featuring the exhibit of Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia.
For more than 30 years, Mike Smith, professor of art and head of the photography program at ETSU, has documented the environs of Johnson City. Diana C. Stoll, formerly the senior editor at Aperture magazine, has written of his work, " ... Smith is above all a visual thinker, and the unsettling power of his photography is in the equanimity with which he sees: what's ugly is also beautiful, a stain is an unintended pattern, a battered truck is an object of pride, a tangle of weeds is a mystery."
Smith has work included in the collections of major museums throughout the country including, but not limited to, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Whitney Museum of American Art, J. Paul Getty Museum of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and Art Institute of Chicago. A Guggenheim Fellow, Smith is also the recipient of the United States Artist Lowe Fellowship and the Tennessee Governors Award in the Arts (a lifetime achievement award).
Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia showcases 38 works from the past 10 years and reinforces what is already known by many - here is an artist who has earned a place in the forefront of contemporary American photography.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now