Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia reception today
A free reception will be held today from 5-7 p.m. at the Reece Museum featuring the exhibit of Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia.
For more than 30 years, Mike Smith, professor of art and head of the photography program at ETSU, has documented the environs of Johnson City. Diana C. Stoll, formerly the senior editor at Aperture magazine, has written of his work, " ... Smith is above all a visual thinker, and the unsettling power of his photography is in the equanimity with which he sees: what's ugly is also beautiful, a stain is an unintended pattern, a battered truck is an object of pride, a tangle of weeds is a mystery."
Smith has work included in the collections of major museums throughout the country including, but not limited to, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Whitney Museum of American Art, J. Paul Getty Museum of Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and Art Institute of Chicago. A Guggenheim Fellow, Smith is also the recipient of the United States Artist Lowe Fellowship and the Tennessee Governors Award in the Arts (a lifetime achievement award).
Mike Smith: Seeing Rural Appalachia showcases 38 works from the past 10 years and reinforces what is already known by many - here is an artist who has earned a place in the forefront of contemporary American photography.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- For Dwight Clark, the Catch Is Chiropractic Care
- Reducing the Likeliness of Back Surgery With Chiropractic...
- Enhancing the Curb Appeal of Your Home
- Maximize Your Teleconferences With Better Tools