Extra credit hours can add stress
Students may buckle under pressure to graduate on time
If you have attended college before, you probably already know everything I am about to say, but everyone needs to hear this. The amount of hours you take when signing up for classes equals the amount of stress you are going to have when it comes to your entire semester.
On average most college students take 12 hours in one semester. This amount of work is pretty much the average or a little above average mark for college course work.
Now anything above it is like hitting an extreme. I am taking 16 hours this semester and find it hard to get all my work done on time.
In taking this amount of hours or any more than this for that matter, the quality of your work becomes less and the quantity of your work increases by two to three papers a week at least.
I know that a lot of you are saying to yourselves, "Well I want to get done with college before my kids start coming to college with me!"
This may be true, but don't kill yourself trying to get out of here as soon as possible.
The only thing you are doing to yourself is making your life twice as hard and you are also missing the time of your life.
In other words take 14 or 15 hours if you want to challenge yourself and enjoy life a little too.
Now for those of you who are overachievers, I say go for the 19 hours if you want to.
But be prepared to have no life and stay on your computer typing 24/7.
You'll look forward to downing cup after cup of coffee in an attempt to pull a couple of all- nighters, not like we all don't do that anyway.
Everyone knows how much work that they are capable of and how much time they need to allow themselves to do the work.
Be warned. Stress can cause you to pick up some bad habits.
It can also lead to health problems such as acne and migraines.
So in the end, be wise and chose the amount of hours and stress you would like to gain carefully.
I mean who knows you might succeed at a painstaking 21 or 23, but ask yourself: "Is it worth it?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!