Editor desires greater web presence, sets semester goals
The executive editor of the East Tennessean hopes to garner greater reader interaction and increase the publication's social media presence this semester.
Matthew Brown, executive editor of the East Tennessean, will be launching a new social media strategy next week in an effort to increase reader interaction and showcase the publication's written work.
"The publication's Facebook page and Twitter feeds will be more active moving forward," Brown said. "We will be posting original content and responding to comments every day."
Brown will also be creating a YouTube account on which the publication will post supplemental videographic content.
"I think it's really important that we create content that engages our readers in a visual way," Brown said. "In addition to the supplemental content, we will be posting several how-to videos. I think those videos will enlighten our readers about the variety of subject students can learn about at ETSU."
Brown started at the East Tennessean in spring 2012 as a staff photographer and was promoted to the position of dual photography editor in spring 2013. He was appointed as the interim executive editor in fall 2013.
"I had to do a lot of learning on the job," Brown said. "[The job] was very demanding at first, especially, but as it went along, I felt more comfortable in this position and more comfortable leading this publication."
At the conclusion of the fall semester, he was officially appointed the executive editor for the spring 2014 semester.
One of his main goals is to improve the public perception of the publication.
"I would like to establish the East Tennessean as the main news source for the ETSU campus," Brown said. "Our office is located on campus, and our entire staff is enrolled at ETSU. We should know what's going on because we're here almost every day."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”