Editor desires greater web presence, sets semester goals
The executive editor of the East Tennessean hopes to garner greater reader interaction and increase the publication's social media presence this semester.
Matthew Brown, executive editor of the East Tennessean, will be launching a new social media strategy next week in an effort to increase reader interaction and showcase the publication's written work.
"The publication's Facebook page and Twitter feeds will be more active moving forward," Brown said. "We will be posting original content and responding to comments every day."
Brown will also be creating a YouTube account on which the publication will post supplemental videographic content.
"I think it's really important that we create content that engages our readers in a visual way," Brown said. "In addition to the supplemental content, we will be posting several how-to videos. I think those videos will enlighten our readers about the variety of subject students can learn about at ETSU."
Brown started at the East Tennessean in spring 2012 as a staff photographer and was promoted to the position of dual photography editor in spring 2013. He was appointed as the interim executive editor in fall 2013.
"I had to do a lot of learning on the job," Brown said. "[The job] was very demanding at first, especially, but as it went along, I felt more comfortable in this position and more comfortable leading this publication."
At the conclusion of the fall semester, he was officially appointed the executive editor for the spring 2014 semester.
One of his main goals is to improve the public perception of the publication.
"I would like to establish the East Tennessean as the main news source for the ETSU campus," Brown said. "Our office is located on campus, and our entire staff is enrolled at ETSU. We should know what's going on because we're here almost every day."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership