Editor desires greater web presence, sets semester goals
The executive editor of the East Tennessean hopes to garner greater reader interaction and increase the publication's social media presence this semester.
Matthew Brown, executive editor of the East Tennessean, will be launching a new social media strategy next week in an effort to increase reader interaction and showcase the publication's written work.
"The publication's Facebook page and Twitter feeds will be more active moving forward," Brown said. "We will be posting original content and responding to comments every day."
Brown will also be creating a YouTube account on which the publication will post supplemental videographic content.
"I think it's really important that we create content that engages our readers in a visual way," Brown said. "In addition to the supplemental content, we will be posting several how-to videos. I think those videos will enlighten our readers about the variety of subject students can learn about at ETSU."
Brown started at the East Tennessean in spring 2012 as a staff photographer and was promoted to the position of dual photography editor in spring 2013. He was appointed as the interim executive editor in fall 2013.
"I had to do a lot of learning on the job," Brown said. "[The job] was very demanding at first, especially, but as it went along, I felt more comfortable in this position and more comfortable leading this publication."
At the conclusion of the fall semester, he was officially appointed the executive editor for the spring 2014 semester.
One of his main goals is to improve the public perception of the publication.
"I would like to establish the East Tennessean as the main news source for the ETSU campus," Brown said. "Our office is located on campus, and our entire staff is enrolled at ETSU. We should know what's going on because we're here almost every day."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists