ETSU Cycling Club students place in national event
Joe Welsh and Casey Stallard have set a high standard for the Cycling Club at ETSU in their first year of participation. Over the winter break, the Cycling Club ventured to Boulder, Colo., to compete in the USAC Collegiate Cyclocross Nationals.
Stallard and Welsh competed in the event, along with student coach, Alan Sparks, who helped in the pits between heats. Boulder has a very tough course to race on, but drew many of the most skilled riders in the nation.
Welsh, a graduate student in ETSU's nursing program, raced for Lees-McRae College prior to ETSU.
Welsh had an amazing Cyclocross performance which led him to earning third out of 50 total racers. This is the first time ETSU's team has placed third on the podium in the Cyclocross Nationals.
ETSU's club had only been to Cyclocross Nationals twice prior to this past race due to the vigorous terrain of the event.
Stallard, a graduate student in ETSU's accounting program, raced for King College's varsity team as an undergraduate.
Stallard had a rough start to the race as he was taken out by other riders in the first turn of the heat. However, he was able to finish the race and place 30th out of 50 total riders in the Division 2 Cyclocross Nationals.
Sparks, a four-year student coach and president for the Cycling Club, said, "I am proud of how far the program has come and able to compete and win against varsity athletes around the nation."
Before he became the club president, the Cycling Club only had downhill mountain biking.
Sparks has added Cyclocross and road bike racing to the club options.
ETSU's Cycling Club has no scholarships available and is student-funded, while its competitors offer scholarships to recruit athletes to become a part of their teams.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses