Mary B. Martin School screens 'The Iran Job'
Students perform tai chi at a CPA fitness class as Mark Holland, assistant instructor, guides them. Tobi Alalade
The Mary B. Martin School of the Arts at ETSU will present the film "The Iran Job" Monday, Feb. 3, at 7 p.m. with filmmaker Till Schauder as part of the South Arts Southern Circuit Tour of Independent Filmmakers. "The Iran Job" is the first of three independent films to be shown during spring semester.
After the screening of the film in ETSU's Martha Street Culp Auditorium, Schauder and the audience will engage in a discussion about "The Iran Job" and his work as a filmmaker. A reception will follow. All activities are free and open to the public.
"This kind of documentary turns your world upside down," says reviewer Bob Maier on davidsonnews.net.
"It rebels against the autocrats and haters on all sides. It turns the very idea of 'bomb Iran' into a reptilian nightmare of shame. It offers rays of hope that we can get along just fine with a little direct human-to-human communication, unfiltered by self-serving pundits, hypocritical scolds and power-hungry officials."
In the fall of 2008, husband-and-wife filmmakers Till Schauder and Sara Nodjoumi had a Skype call with Kevin Sheppard, a flashy American point guard about to start a basketball contract in the Iranian Super League. Sheppard was so entertaining that they decided to start filming.
Schauder filmed in Iran over several visits, until on his last trip he was informed that he had been placed on a "black list" and sent back to New York.
The result of those visits, "The Iran Job" follows Sheppard as he accepts a job to play in one of the world's most feared countries: Iran.
With tensions running high between Iran and the West, the athlete tries to separate sports from politics, only to find that politics are impossible to escape in Iran.
Along the way, Sheppard forms an unlikely alliance with some outspoken Iranian women. Thanks to these women, his apartment turns into an oasis of free speech, where they discuss everything from politics to religion to gender roles.
"He is obviously an exceptionally brave and curious person, and what he found was a culture bursting with love for America," Maier says, "and especially two precocious young women delighted to guide him through their proud, but sympathetic culture."
Sheppard's first season in Iran's Super League culminates in something much bigger than basketball: the uprising and subsequent suppression of Iran's reformist Green Movement - a powerful prelude to the currently unfolding Arab Spring.
Schauder is a graduate of the University of Television and Film in Munich. He has also been invited to serve on film festival juries and panels including the Munich International Film Festival, and the Tribeca Film Festival. Nodjoumi is a film producer and programmer, who has co-produced and directed a series of documentaries about the Iranian community in America.
For more information on the film, visit www.theiranjob.com.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!