University celebrates Martin Luther King Jr.
Locally, TOMS Shoes are sold at Bettye Jane's Fashion Exchange located on 411 W. Walnut St. For each pair of TOMS shoes purchased, a pair of shoes goes to a child in need. Meredith Mitchell
The East Tennessee State University Office of Multicultural Affairs celebrated the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. Tuesday with a reading of King's "I have a dream" speech and a talk given by one of the university's first African-American students.
Tracy Haynes, a resident of Elizabethton, recited King's speech, and George Nichols spoke about the experience of being one of the first African-American students at ETSU.
Nichols started his speech by enlightening the audience about what Johnson City was like when it was segregated. He described the madness of segregation and the hardships that many African Americans faced in East Tennessee.
Nichols spoke on the isolation and subtle, but not outright, racism that he faced when he attended ETSU. He also said that the university's ROTC program pushed him to succeed and push through the hardships.
Mr. Nichols said that his time spent in the university's ROTC program and in the military gave him the tools that he needed in order to succeed in corporate America. He wrapped up his speech with how he believed King would view America today and touched on a number of subjects through this including the voting act, the treatment of the poor and the American education system.
"Don't settle for mediocrity," he said. "Strive to be the best. Never settle for anything less."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge