Men's tennis bounces back with win over Brown
One day after suffering a narrow setback to No. 19 Wake Forest, the East Tennessee State University men's tennis team bounced back in a big way Sunday, picking up a commanding, 4-0, victory over Ivy League opponent Brown.
Recording singles wins for the Buccaneers (1-1) were senior Roger Ordeig, sophomore Sebastian Yllera, and freshman Ismael Merino. In doubles action, Merino paired with fellow freshman Diego Nunez to find the win column, while sophomore Ricardo Pabon and freshman Conner Huertas Del Pino were victorious, as well.
"To bounce back after fighting with a Top 20 team showed a lot of grit and toughness," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "I think it was a good sign that the guys really want to win. I was proud of them."
To begin the day, the Bucs managed to take the doubles point by capturing wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles spots.
The freshmen duo of Merino and Nunez took down Brown's Justin To and Lucas Da Silveira in convincing fashion, 6-1, to pick up the win at No. 1 doubles, while teammates Pabon and Huertas Del Pino overcame the Bears' senior duo of Sam Fife and Brandon Burke, 6-3.
Newcomer Sebastian Yllera and senior Roger Ordeig picked up wins at No. 4 and No. 3 singles, respectively, with each player taking his first set in a tiebreaker before coasting to a 6-2 second set win. Winning the match's third point, Yllera knocked off Gregory Garcia, 6-5 (7-5), 6-2. Ordeig clinched ETSU's 4-0 victory with a 6-5 (7-4), 6-2 win over Sam Fife.
At the No. 5 singles spot, Merino defeated Lucas Da Silveira by a score of 6-4, 6-2.
"We hit the ball very well today," Zaatini said. "I was proud of the guys and the way we started, but proud doesn't mean satisfied. We need to stay motivated and keep doing what we are doing."
The remaining spots were left unfinished after ETSU clinched the win; however, the Buccaneers played well across the board Sunday.
Ordeig and freshman David Biosca were up a break, 4-3, versus Daniel Hirschberg and Gregory Garcia when play was abondoned.
Competing at No. 1 singles, Biosca was leading Justin To, 6-2, 4-6, 2-1, while Pabon was maintaining a 6-4, 5-5 (4-2) lead on David Neff at No. 6 singles. Nunez and Brown's Brandon Burke were in the midst of a hotly contested match, finishing knotted at 6-2, 4-6, 3-3.
"Even with the loss yesterday, I saw a lot of positive things going on with our team this weekend, especially with so many fresh faces," Zaatini said. "I am curious to see how we keep developing with these guys. It is still an unknown."
In its opening two matches, the Bucs lineup has consisted of five newcomers and just two returning players (Ordeig and Pabon).
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”