Lady Bucs lose in 1-point heartbreaker
Atlanta Hawks all-star forward Josh Smith put on a show for the fans at ETSU. ETSU Bucs
The East Tennessee State University women's basketball dropped a heartbreaking 63-62 decision to USC Upstate on Sunday inside Brooks Gym following a driving lay-in from the Spartans' Alex Stanford with two seconds remaining.
With its fourth-straight loss, ETSU drops to 5-11 on the season and 1-4 in Atlantic Sun play, while Upstate improves to 7-9 overall and 2-3 in league action.
The first half of the contest was highlighted with back-and-forth play featuring seven ties and two lead changes.
The Bucs limited the Spartans to 38 percent shooting in the half and dominated Upstate on the boards, 25-16. Though the Blue and Gold were playing solid defense and cleaning the glass, ETSU's inconsistency on offense proved to be problematic.
During the period, the Bucs turned the ball over 11 times, resulting in 12 Spartans' points off these miscues. The Blue and Gold was able to take advantage of opportunities at the free-throw line in the half with 7-of-10 makes.
With time winding down in the period, Shawn Randall attacked the basket and laid it in with two seconds left to send the Bucs into halftime leading, 30-29.
As has become the norm for ETSU, the Blue and Gold came out of the break energized and took it to the Spartans early.
The Bucs were able to compile a 9-2 run over the first two minutes of the period to take a 39-31 lead.
ETSU continued to maintain a firm lead over the next 10 minutes, highlighted by a Brianna McQueen jumper with 8:14 left to put the Blue and Gold up, 56-45.
After securing its largest lead of the game of 11 points, the Bucs went frigid with a nearly four-minute scoring drought as the Spartans continued to chip away at their deficit.
Leading by one point, 62-61, with less than 30 seconds to play, a point-blank shot by ETSU went errant which allowed Upstate a final possession to take the lead. The Spartans' Alex Stanford proceeded to attack the basket and lay it in with two seconds remaining to seal the game, 63-62, in Upstate's favor.
The Spartans featured three double-figure scorers including Brittany Clency with 14 and Sharmayne Edwards and Alex Stanford both with 11.
Meanwhile, ETSU also featured a trio of double-figure scorers highlighted by a season-high 13 points from senior Randall as well as 12 from McQueen and 11 from Maria Bond. Additionally, Serena Clark grabbed a career-high 16 rebounds to go along with eight points.
Upstate shot a sub-par 35 percent from the field and an even worse 25 percent (3-of-12) from three, but turned the Bucs over 21 times resulting in 20 points off these takeaways.
The Spartans also registered 26 points in the paint, nailed 14-of-21 free throws and got 30 points from its bench.
The Blue and Gold's penchant to turn the ball over was costly, as well as the failure to take advantage of second opportunities.
ETSU was able to gather 14 offensive rebounds but only turned these additional chances into six points.
The Bucs also struggled to cash in from the charity stripe with 11 misses (18-of-29) and found trouble from behind the arc with only 4-of-13 makes.
ETSU did assist on 10 of its 20 made field goals and got 21 points from its reserves.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!