Don't take Johnson City's temperate climate for granted
Down here in Tennessee, as far as I have been told, it almost never gets down below zero.
The coldest it gets here is the single digits and near zero, which is still pretty cold, but not as cold as it gets in the wild northern tundra where I come from - especially this winter.
Northern Illinois is really only known for Chicago.
There are other things up there, like corn and gravel, but those things are boring.
But what everybody knows about Chicago is that during the winter, there are at times apocalyptic snowfall and bone-chilling temperatures that can turn boiling water to snow.
This winter has been a particularly cold one. Over my break, there have been week long stretches of temperatures that dip down into the negative teens.
The absolute coldest it has gotten so far this winter was a minus 25 degrees night with wind chills down into the minus 40s.
Cold that intense will give anyone with exposed skin frostbite in as little as 10 minutes. If you left a banana outside in that weather, the cold will freeze it so hard, you can hammer a nail into a board with it.
Which means that since I lived down here for the previous five months before break, I was spoiled by the relatively temperate climate in Johnson City.
I'm not sure if anyone else remembers, but a week before finals, temperatures here got up into the lower 70s.
Meanwhile, my hometown was experiencing the first bout of negative temperatures of the winter season.
Being exposed to such lovely weather here before my trek back north for the holidays left me far less prepared for the incoming cold I was about to experience.
A week into break, I experienced my first negative temperature since last winter.
It was minus 10 degrees outside and I was walking with my boyfriend from the train station to the movie theater.
It is a 10-minute walk from the train station to the theater, and when I walked through the door, I had to sit in the first chair I saw and I literally burst into tears. The cold was just too much for me.
Looking back, I think I may have had a touch of hypothermia, because I had to sit bundled up with not only my winter things, but my boyfriend as well, in the theater.
We huddled up together as I continued to shiver for about a half hour into the movie.
Though despite that experience, it was amazing how fast I was able to adjust to the cold.
Probably because my body quickly remembered where it came from because a week later, when the high was a mere 1 degree, I went to the mall with my friends.
Crazy northerners ...
So whenever you are feeling cold, especially on a day like today, remember that it could be worse.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections