Basketball teams battle A-Sun competitors tonight
ETSU's men's and women's basketball teams will take on Atlantic Sun rivals tonight. The women will play Florida Gulf Coast at home, while the men will travel to Northern Kentucky University.
Women vs. FGCU
After snapping a two-game skid with a 72-57 victory over the North Florida Ospreys on Saturday, Feb. 1, the ETSU women's basketball team will look to continue the momentum when it welcomes the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles on Thursday, Feb. 6, at 7 p.m. inside the ETSU/MSHA Athletics Center.
Competing undermanned for the second-straight game, the ETSU women's basketball team outmatched the North Florida Ospreys behind a dominant second half as the Bucs soared past the Ospreys, 72-57, inside UNF Arena.
The Bucs fell behind by as many as nine points early in the first half, but fought back to close the deficit to 36-32 at halftime.
To start the second period, the Blue and Gold put the pedal to the metal and never looked back. ETSU scored the first eight points of the half, to take the lead, and manufactured an 18-2 run to take control of the contest.
Increasing their lead to as many as 17 points with two minutes to play, the Bucs cruised to a 72-57 victory.
Serena Clark notched her second-consecutive double, and eighth of the season, with 20 points and eleven rebounds.
Forced into increased minutes due to ETSU's current lack of depth, freshman Jasmine Hotchkins played a career-high 28 minutes, which featured a career-best 12 points including a perfect 4-of-4 from behind the arc.
ETSU (7-13, 3-6) and Florida Gulf Coast (14-7, 8-1) will square off Thursday in the 14th all-time meeting between the two schools; a series that FGCU leads, 11-2.
The Bucs have fallen short in nine-straight meetings against the Eagles with the most recent matchup being a 73-58 loss earlier this season, on Jan. 9, inside Alico Arena.
Men vs. NKU
As the ETSU men's basketball team continues with Atlantic Sun Conference play Thursday night at Northern Kentucky, the Buccaneers hope to keep building on its recent success.
The Bucs (12-11 overall, 5-5 in A-Sun play) are winners of three of their last four games as they prepare to take on the Norse (8-15, 4-7) at 7 p.m. inside the Bank of Kentucky Center. Since welcoming NKU into the Atlantic Sun Conference last season, ETSU is 2-1 against the Norse, which includes a victory earlier this season inside the ETSU/MSHA Athletic Center.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!