App allows discrete disclosure of STD test results
Hula, a new free app that can be obtained from the iPhone App Store, is looking to change how the general public approaches STD awareness and prevention. Through Hula, users can find local STD testing centers, collect and store their test results, and create a profile on the app that allows users to share their verified STD results.
Haley Richardson, a sophomore at East Tennessee State University, said that she liked the concept of the app and said that she believed it would enable individuals to communicate their statuses without having awkward conversations.
"With how prevalent the STD problem has become among college students, it's nice to see someone taking a different twist on something in order to make a real change," Richardson said.
In the most recent survey conducted by the CDC shows that more than 110 million Americans are currently living with an STD and that there are more than 20 million new infections each year with nearly half of those cases occurring in younger people between the ages 15-24.
STD testing is often a confusing subject for young Americans, many of whom have no idea how to go about being tested. Hula aims to inform its users of the many test locations of which they could take advantage.
Hula has a variety of tools that truly make it a first-of-its-kind app, an app that has received praise from many public health officials for promoting STD testing and awareness.
The app promotes STD testing through one click features that allow users to locate local testing centers and store their past test results all in one place. One of the more unique features of Hula that promotes STD awareness is the ability for a user to create a profile and share their test results with others.
In the course of creating a profile, users decide with whom they will share this information and it is kept completely private otherwise.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!