App allows discrete disclosure of STD test results
Hula, a new free app that can be obtained from the iPhone App Store, is looking to change how the general public approaches STD awareness and prevention. Through Hula, users can find local STD testing centers, collect and store their test results, and create a profile on the app that allows users to share their verified STD results.
Haley Richardson, a sophomore at East Tennessee State University, said that she liked the concept of the app and said that she believed it would enable individuals to communicate their statuses without having awkward conversations.
"With how prevalent the STD problem has become among college students, it's nice to see someone taking a different twist on something in order to make a real change," Richardson said.
In the most recent survey conducted by the CDC shows that more than 110 million Americans are currently living with an STD and that there are more than 20 million new infections each year with nearly half of those cases occurring in younger people between the ages 15-24.
STD testing is often a confusing subject for young Americans, many of whom have no idea how to go about being tested. Hula aims to inform its users of the many test locations of which they could take advantage.
Hula has a variety of tools that truly make it a first-of-its-kind app, an app that has received praise from many public health officials for promoting STD testing and awareness.
The app promotes STD testing through one click features that allow users to locate local testing centers and store their past test results all in one place. One of the more unique features of Hula that promotes STD awareness is the ability for a user to create a profile and share their test results with others.
In the course of creating a profile, users decide with whom they will share this information and it is kept completely private otherwise.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs shutout Keydets
- Buc’s men’s soccer ties Wofford Bears, 3-3
- Lady Bucs defeat Wofford
- ‘It’s a Girl’ addresses gendercide
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ game has become Nintendo’s kingmaker
- Volunteers needed for fall carnival that will take place Oct. 24
- Meditation aids in relaxation, improvement of mental, physical health
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”