App allows discrete disclosure of STD test results
Hula, a new free app that can be obtained from the iPhone App Store, is looking to change how the general public approaches STD awareness and prevention. Through Hula, users can find local STD testing centers, collect and store their test results, and create a profile on the app that allows users to share their verified STD results.
Haley Richardson, a sophomore at East Tennessee State University, said that she liked the concept of the app and said that she believed it would enable individuals to communicate their statuses without having awkward conversations.
"With how prevalent the STD problem has become among college students, it's nice to see someone taking a different twist on something in order to make a real change," Richardson said.
In the most recent survey conducted by the CDC shows that more than 110 million Americans are currently living with an STD and that there are more than 20 million new infections each year with nearly half of those cases occurring in younger people between the ages 15-24.
STD testing is often a confusing subject for young Americans, many of whom have no idea how to go about being tested. Hula aims to inform its users of the many test locations of which they could take advantage.
Hula has a variety of tools that truly make it a first-of-its-kind app, an app that has received praise from many public health officials for promoting STD testing and awareness.
The app promotes STD testing through one click features that allow users to locate local testing centers and store their past test results all in one place. One of the more unique features of Hula that promotes STD awareness is the ability for a user to create a profile and share their test results with others.
In the course of creating a profile, users decide with whom they will share this information and it is kept completely private otherwise.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses