Senators fail to meet GPA requirement
Five members of the East Tennessee State University Student Government Association, including three senators, failed to meet the semester GPA requirement set forth in the SGA constitution.
The SGA constitution requires that all SGA members maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and 2.25 semester GPA.
The SGA was still able to conduct business Tuesday, despite having three senators in attendance who were not constitutionally qualified to represent the student body.
The SGA made arrangements for this by taking into account the number of individuals who did not qualify to vote, docking the total number of votes by that amount and listing those not counted as abstentions.
Sally Lee, adviser to SGA and associate vice president for student affairs, said that the requirement was incorporated into the constitution when the SGA was predominantly comprised of honors scholars.
"When you've got a group in here that's all making 3.8s all the time, a 2.2 sounds like, 'Oh, no problem, everybody will always make that,'" Lee said.
A resolution to deal with the GPA problem has been submitted to internal affairs committee. The committee will analyze the piece of legislation and report back to the senate.
After which, the SGA senate will vote on the piece of legislation.
"So, part of the problem is there's no method for enforcing it. I mean ... what do I do?" Lee said. "Go around and tap somebody on the shoulder and say, 'Don't come back next week?' And then, there's no appeal process. So, it will be interesting to see what the committee does."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU Farmers’ Market seeks musicians for upcoming season
- Guitarist will perform at ETSU
- 14 students attend open forums about Culp renovation
- Senate passes resolution allowing students to write on office window
- ETSU tennis team 2-0 in Southern Conference
- Lady Bucs end season with loss to NC State
- ETSU announces stadium location
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...