Ten years of status updates
Social media site a great way to stay connected with friends, but is the time you’ll lose worth it?
As many of you already know, it was Facebook's 10th birthday on Tuesday.
I didn't know this until Tuesday when I started seeing everyone's "Facebook Reflection" videos on their profiles.
I even made one myself, though I've only had a Facebook since I started college in 2011.
Facebook is a wonderful tool.
It helps you find old friends, stay connected with current friends and unwind every now and then.
Though Facebook may be useful now that I have moved away from home, for the seven years that it existed before I joined, I just didn't see any real use for it.
See, I had never moved until I went to college, so the majority of my friends lived in the same town as me and I saw them every day, as long as I went to school or to the store or just walked around the neighborhoods with friends.
Why would I also want to see them even more on a social media site?
I was also one of those nerds that was never really into social media.
I had a MySpace (if anyone even knows what that is anymore ... ), but I probably logged into my account a grand total of 20 times, if even that.
I figured I would get one when I finally went off to college because, well, since I never moved, I never made friends anywhere else.
And where would all my friends and old classmates be when I finally moved?
So I finally gave it a whirl and set up an account at the beginning of my first college semester.
When it comes to keeping in contact with my friends, it's great.
Other than that ... well, it's like a love-hate thing that I'm sure many people can relate to.
Facebook is a vortex that steals time. That's what I am convinced Facebook lives off of.
Go on Facebook, look at the clock, and suddenly an hour has gone by, and what have you done? Creeped on friend's pictures, read dozens of memes that are at first hilarious, but then you oddly become desensitized to the humor of it.
And of course, when you force yourself to stay off Facebook (which obviously can be really hard to do), you can just get more things done in your life. Literally, I mean it! When I force myself off of Facebook, I have nothing else to do than be bored, and eventually I think of stuff that I need to do.
This is honestly great!
So thank you, Facebook, for keeping me in touch with my friends from across the miles.
Though through my reflection of my time on this social media site, I believe that I have honestly wasted more time with it then I would've ever liked.
But will I get rid of my profile?
In time, maybe, but as of right now, I'm just complaining.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”