Squibbs posts new ETSU outdoor record at Florida Relays
ETSU freshman field performer Brett Squibbs sustained his impressive rookie season by continuing to rewrite the ETSU men's pole vault record book with a new school-best outdoor mark of 5.10 meters on Saturday during the final day at the 2014 Pepsi Florida Relays at James G. Pressly Stadium at Percy Beard Track on the University of Florida campus.
The first-year phenom battled to a fourth-place tie with Kentucky's Charles Moushey who recorded an identical mark. Squibbs has now set new ETSU records on multiple occasions during his young career including setting the school's high mark in the event during the indoor season. In addition, later in the afternoon, Lexie Burley posted a leap of 11.91 meters in the women's triple jump to place 25th.
This weekend, a limited number of student-athletes competed for ETSU, but some real progress was made. ETSU Director of Track & Field George Watts looks for continued growth going forward during this outdoor season."We had a couple of good performances at the Florida Relays this weekend," said Watts. "Dede Edgecombe continues to perfect her race each time she competes. I'm very proud of her as she once again breaks her school record."
The Bucs will be back in action next week, April 10-12, at the Tennessee Relays presented by Sea Ray in Knoxville at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium on the University of Tennessee campus.
"We have to get ready for next weekend's competitions," said Watts, "and I look forward to having the entire team competing once again."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU screening travelers to countries with known Ebola outbreaks
- ETSU appoints director of Veterans Affairs
- Organizers finalize Sex Week preparations
- ‘Selma’ mirrors controversies in modern America
- Johnson City Community Theatre will hold auditions for RENT Feb. 15 and 16
- Women’s Studies announces spring Women on Wednesdays lineup
- Lady Bucs conquer Lady Terriers, 69-47
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths