Squibbs posts new ETSU outdoor record at Florida Relays
ETSU freshman field performer Brett Squibbs sustained his impressive rookie season by continuing to rewrite the ETSU men's pole vault record book with a new school-best outdoor mark of 5.10 meters on Saturday during the final day at the 2014 Pepsi Florida Relays at James G. Pressly Stadium at Percy Beard Track on the University of Florida campus.
The first-year phenom battled to a fourth-place tie with Kentucky's Charles Moushey who recorded an identical mark. Squibbs has now set new ETSU records on multiple occasions during his young career including setting the school's high mark in the event during the indoor season. In addition, later in the afternoon, Lexie Burley posted a leap of 11.91 meters in the women's triple jump to place 25th.
This weekend, a limited number of student-athletes competed for ETSU, but some real progress was made. ETSU Director of Track & Field George Watts looks for continued growth going forward during this outdoor season."We had a couple of good performances at the Florida Relays this weekend," said Watts. "Dede Edgecombe continues to perfect her race each time she competes. I'm very proud of her as she once again breaks her school record."
The Bucs will be back in action next week, April 10-12, at the Tennessee Relays presented by Sea Ray in Knoxville at Tom Black Track at LaPorte Stadium on the University of Tennessee campus.
"We have to get ready for next weekend's competitions," said Watts, "and I look forward to having the entire team competing once again."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses