First-place ETSU extends win streak, beats Upstate, 6-1
The ETSU men's tennis team continues to position itself well for the upcoming Atlantic Sun Championships.
Saturday, the first-place Bucs beat USC Upstate, 5-1, to extend their season-best win streak to seven matches and remain unbeaten in league play.
The Buccaneers (10-8, 5-0) overcame a motivated effort from USC Upstate, with ETSU taking the doubles point to start the day and going on to win five of the day's six singles points.
"I think we came out decent," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "Midway, I think we fell a little flat, but every time you get the win, something was done right."
Sebastian Yllera and Conner Huertas Del Pino started the day off with a win at No. 3 doubles, making quick work of USC Upstate's Yvon Haessig and Rajanvir Dharni, 8-1.
The Spartans (7-12, 2-4) responded by winning the No. 1 doubles spot, with Gonzalo Blanco and Matthias Kidler outlasting Diego Nunez and Ismael Merino, 8-7, in a tie-break; however David Biosca and Roger Ordeig sealed the win at doubles for the Bucs, winning at the No. 2 spot.
With the win, Biosca and Ordeig improved to 6-2 in doubles on the season. The duo has won six consecutive doubles matches.
Biosca, Nunez, Yllera, Huertas, and Merino won the No. 1-5 singles spots, in order, while Ordeig suffered a loss at No. 6 singles, his first singles setback since Feb. 8.
"There is some nervous optimism," Zaatini said in reference to the upcoming conference tournament. "We respect all the teams that are in the conference. Everyone has gotten so much better. At any point, anything can happen. I think we just have to come in with the attitude of competing hard and not taking anybody for granted and just making sure that we're ready to go."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR