First-place ETSU extends win streak, beats Upstate, 6-1
The ETSU men's tennis team continues to position itself well for the upcoming Atlantic Sun Championships.
Saturday, the first-place Bucs beat USC Upstate, 5-1, to extend their season-best win streak to seven matches and remain unbeaten in league play.
The Buccaneers (10-8, 5-0) overcame a motivated effort from USC Upstate, with ETSU taking the doubles point to start the day and going on to win five of the day's six singles points.
"I think we came out decent," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "Midway, I think we fell a little flat, but every time you get the win, something was done right."
Sebastian Yllera and Conner Huertas Del Pino started the day off with a win at No. 3 doubles, making quick work of USC Upstate's Yvon Haessig and Rajanvir Dharni, 8-1.
The Spartans (7-12, 2-4) responded by winning the No. 1 doubles spot, with Gonzalo Blanco and Matthias Kidler outlasting Diego Nunez and Ismael Merino, 8-7, in a tie-break; however David Biosca and Roger Ordeig sealed the win at doubles for the Bucs, winning at the No. 2 spot.
With the win, Biosca and Ordeig improved to 6-2 in doubles on the season. The duo has won six consecutive doubles matches.
Biosca, Nunez, Yllera, Huertas, and Merino won the No. 1-5 singles spots, in order, while Ordeig suffered a loss at No. 6 singles, his first singles setback since Feb. 8.
"There is some nervous optimism," Zaatini said in reference to the upcoming conference tournament. "We respect all the teams that are in the conference. Everyone has gotten so much better. At any point, anything can happen. I think we just have to come in with the attitude of competing hard and not taking anybody for granted and just making sure that we're ready to go."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!