First-place ETSU extends win streak, beats Upstate, 6-1
The ETSU men's tennis team continues to position itself well for the upcoming Atlantic Sun Championships.
Saturday, the first-place Bucs beat USC Upstate, 5-1, to extend their season-best win streak to seven matches and remain unbeaten in league play.
The Buccaneers (10-8, 5-0) overcame a motivated effort from USC Upstate, with ETSU taking the doubles point to start the day and going on to win five of the day's six singles points.
"I think we came out decent," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "Midway, I think we fell a little flat, but every time you get the win, something was done right."
Sebastian Yllera and Conner Huertas Del Pino started the day off with a win at No. 3 doubles, making quick work of USC Upstate's Yvon Haessig and Rajanvir Dharni, 8-1.
The Spartans (7-12, 2-4) responded by winning the No. 1 doubles spot, with Gonzalo Blanco and Matthias Kidler outlasting Diego Nunez and Ismael Merino, 8-7, in a tie-break; however David Biosca and Roger Ordeig sealed the win at doubles for the Bucs, winning at the No. 2 spot.
With the win, Biosca and Ordeig improved to 6-2 in doubles on the season. The duo has won six consecutive doubles matches.
Biosca, Nunez, Yllera, Huertas, and Merino won the No. 1-5 singles spots, in order, while Ordeig suffered a loss at No. 6 singles, his first singles setback since Feb. 8.
"There is some nervous optimism," Zaatini said in reference to the upcoming conference tournament. "We respect all the teams that are in the conference. Everyone has gotten so much better. At any point, anything can happen. I think we just have to come in with the attitude of competing hard and not taking anybody for granted and just making sure that we're ready to go."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge