First-place ETSU extends win streak, beats Upstate, 6-1
The ETSU men's tennis team continues to position itself well for the upcoming Atlantic Sun Championships.
Saturday, the first-place Bucs beat USC Upstate, 5-1, to extend their season-best win streak to seven matches and remain unbeaten in league play.
The Buccaneers (10-8, 5-0) overcame a motivated effort from USC Upstate, with ETSU taking the doubles point to start the day and going on to win five of the day's six singles points.
"I think we came out decent," ETSU head coach Yaser Zaatini said. "Midway, I think we fell a little flat, but every time you get the win, something was done right."
Sebastian Yllera and Conner Huertas Del Pino started the day off with a win at No. 3 doubles, making quick work of USC Upstate's Yvon Haessig and Rajanvir Dharni, 8-1.
The Spartans (7-12, 2-4) responded by winning the No. 1 doubles spot, with Gonzalo Blanco and Matthias Kidler outlasting Diego Nunez and Ismael Merino, 8-7, in a tie-break; however David Biosca and Roger Ordeig sealed the win at doubles for the Bucs, winning at the No. 2 spot.
With the win, Biosca and Ordeig improved to 6-2 in doubles on the season. The duo has won six consecutive doubles matches.
Biosca, Nunez, Yllera, Huertas, and Merino won the No. 1-5 singles spots, in order, while Ordeig suffered a loss at No. 6 singles, his first singles setback since Feb. 8.
"There is some nervous optimism," Zaatini said in reference to the upcoming conference tournament. "We respect all the teams that are in the conference. Everyone has gotten so much better. At any point, anything can happen. I think we just have to come in with the attitude of competing hard and not taking anybody for granted and just making sure that we're ready to go."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership