Spring has sprung, and so have colds
Being on your own is tough, in sickness and in health
In all my time here at ETSU, I have been blessed with good health.
Winter is usually prime time for me to get sick, and with the exception of one day having some stomach funk, I have been well throughout the entire season.
When the warm weather came around, I thought I was in the clear.
I had dodged a winter without a stubborn cold.
But right as the upper 70s hit, it happened.
I got exactly what I thought I had avoided: those colds that seem to just sit in your body for as long as they want, doing what they want while making you miserable.
Now, there are two things in this story that have never happened to me before.
I have never before gotten a cold during a 70-degree heat wave, and I've never been sick away from home.
It dawned on me sitting in bed one day just how miserable that this is the first time that I've had to deal with an illness like this away from my loved ones.
Of course, I had been sick before during my college career, but it seemed to have always happened during my time at my community college, which of course meant I could stay home whenever I became ill.
I had my dad there to get the medicine I needed, my mom to cook me good food and comfort me and my brother and sister to periodically check on me during the day.
There was a time or two that I had gotten sick around my boyfriend, and he would do all of those things for me when I was with him.
But here, all I've got is my own self. I had to drag my butt out of bed and walk to Kroger to get all of my medicine and comfort food to cook for myself.
Now, that's not a big deal.
I wasn't so sick that I couldn't do this by myself, but there is something about the love and help from another person that just makes the healing process so much better.
I did get caring and concerned texts and phone calls from both my mom and my boyfriend, which was nice.
The both of them made sure I was eating enough fruit, drinking enough water and taking my medicine when I needed to.
I also received a Face Time call from my aunt (who's a nurse) and my uncle, which was very helpful too.
When I was sick at home, all I focused on was how crappy I felt and how much I wanted to get better, which is what most people do.
But I didn't realize how much I'd miss and need the care I received from my loved ones.
I took those things for granted and now I'm being punished with a stubborn cold while I'm 1,000 miles away from home.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE