Baseball's Freeman named contender for CLASS award
ETSU senior two-way standout Clinton Freeman was one of 30 candidates selected for the 2014 Senior CLASS Baseball Award, which was announced by the committee on Wednesday afternoon.
Prior to the 2014 season, Freeman was named Louisville Slugger First Team All-America and A-Sun Pitcher of Year by Collegiate Baseball.
In 2013, Freeman earned CollegeBaseballInsider.com/Louisville Slugger All-America accolades, while also being tabbed second team All-Atlantic Sun.
He also led the Buccaneers in nearly every offensive category, and was one of 25 players placed on the watch list for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award.
The Buccaneer two-way player has started in 134 consecutive games dating back to the 2012 season. For his career, Freeman has played in 150 games (143 starts) and is hitting .338 (194-574) with 42 doubles, eight triples, 19 home runs and 128 RBI. On the mound, the southpaw has recorded 158.0 IP and is 11-8 with 12 saves in 65 appearances (14 starts).
To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence - community, classroom, character and competition.
An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.
Of the 30 candidates, 11 have cumulative grade point averages of 3.5 or higher with three of those having a perfect 4.0 GPA.
There are six CoSIDA Capital One Academic All-Americans and three Baseball America and Louisville Slugger All-Americans from last season. Five candidates play for teams currently ranked in the USA Today top 25 coaches poll.
The 30 candidates will be narrowed to 10 finalists midway through the regular season, and those 10 names will be placed on the official ballot. Ballots will be distributed through a nationwide voting system to media, coaches and fans, who will select one candidate who best exemplifies excellence in the four Cs of community, classroom, character and competition.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!