Baseball's Freeman named contender for CLASS award
ETSU senior two-way standout Clinton Freeman was one of 30 candidates selected for the 2014 Senior CLASS Baseball Award, which was announced by the committee on Wednesday afternoon.
Prior to the 2014 season, Freeman was named Louisville Slugger First Team All-America and A-Sun Pitcher of Year by Collegiate Baseball.
In 2013, Freeman earned CollegeBaseballInsider.com/Louisville Slugger All-America accolades, while also being tabbed second team All-Atlantic Sun.
He also led the Buccaneers in nearly every offensive category, and was one of 25 players placed on the watch list for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year Award.
The Buccaneer two-way player has started in 134 consecutive games dating back to the 2012 season. For his career, Freeman has played in 150 games (143 starts) and is hitting .338 (194-574) with 42 doubles, eight triples, 19 home runs and 128 RBI. On the mound, the southpaw has recorded 158.0 IP and is 11-8 with 12 saves in 65 appearances (14 starts).
To be eligible for the award, a student-athlete must be classified as an NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four areas of excellence - community, classroom, character and competition.
An acronym for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School, the Senior CLASS Award focuses on the total student-athlete and encourages students to use their platform in athletics to make a positive impact as leaders in their communities.
Of the 30 candidates, 11 have cumulative grade point averages of 3.5 or higher with three of those having a perfect 4.0 GPA.
There are six CoSIDA Capital One Academic All-Americans and three Baseball America and Louisville Slugger All-Americans from last season. Five candidates play for teams currently ranked in the USA Today top 25 coaches poll.
The 30 candidates will be narrowed to 10 finalists midway through the regular season, and those 10 names will be placed on the official ballot. Ballots will be distributed through a nationwide voting system to media, coaches and fans, who will select one candidate who best exemplifies excellence in the four Cs of community, classroom, character and competition.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU Farmers’ Market seeks musicians for upcoming season
- Guitarist will perform at ETSU
- 14 students attend open forums about Culp renovation
- Senate passes resolution allowing students to write on office window
- ETSU tennis team 2-0 in Southern Conference
- Lady Bucs end season with loss to NC State
- ETSU announces stadium location
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...