Chin, Evans post strong finishes; ETSU women place fourth
ETSU sophomore Vivienne Chin fired a team-low round of 74 in the third and final round of the 3M Lady Jaguar Intercollegiate Saturday at the Forest Hills Golf Club, helping the 46th-ranked Buccaneers to a fourth place finish on the team leaderboard.
Forced to play 36 holes on Saturday due to the threat of poor weather conditions on Sunday, Chin also carded a second round score of 1-over-par 73, finishing in a tie for eighth place along with ETSU senior Sian Evans. Both Chin and Evans finished the three-round event at 225, eight strokes back of Mercer's Lacey Fears, who captured the individual title.
As a team, the Bucs finished just one stroke back of third place and 41st-ranked Kansas. ETSU did finish ahead of No. 34 GRU Augusta and No. 48 Illinois, while No. 14 Vanderbilt took home the team championship by 10 strokes over second-place Mercer.
"We learned a lot from today's 36 holes," said ETSU assistant coach Lauren Stratton, who is on the road with the team as head coach Stefanie Shelton is on maternity leave. "It was a challenging day mentally, but the girls battled all day. We now know what we need to work on before we leave for John's Island next weekend."
Along with Chin and Evans, junior Gabriella Wahl finished tied for 11th, having posted the team's best overall score of the day with an even-par 72 in the second round. Meanwhile, senior Lourdes Lopez finished tied for 39th and freshman Linda Dobele ended the even tied for 42nd.
The Bucs will return to action on Monday, March 24, at the Briar's Creek Invitational in John's Island, S.C. For more on ETSU women's golf throughout the 2013-14 spring season
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections