Chin, Evans post strong finishes; ETSU women place fourth
ETSU sophomore Vivienne Chin fired a team-low round of 74 in the third and final round of the 3M Lady Jaguar Intercollegiate Saturday at the Forest Hills Golf Club, helping the 46th-ranked Buccaneers to a fourth place finish on the team leaderboard.
Forced to play 36 holes on Saturday due to the threat of poor weather conditions on Sunday, Chin also carded a second round score of 1-over-par 73, finishing in a tie for eighth place along with ETSU senior Sian Evans. Both Chin and Evans finished the three-round event at 225, eight strokes back of Mercer's Lacey Fears, who captured the individual title.
As a team, the Bucs finished just one stroke back of third place and 41st-ranked Kansas. ETSU did finish ahead of No. 34 GRU Augusta and No. 48 Illinois, while No. 14 Vanderbilt took home the team championship by 10 strokes over second-place Mercer.
"We learned a lot from today's 36 holes," said ETSU assistant coach Lauren Stratton, who is on the road with the team as head coach Stefanie Shelton is on maternity leave. "It was a challenging day mentally, but the girls battled all day. We now know what we need to work on before we leave for John's Island next weekend."
Along with Chin and Evans, junior Gabriella Wahl finished tied for 11th, having posted the team's best overall score of the day with an even-par 72 in the second round. Meanwhile, senior Lourdes Lopez finished tied for 39th and freshman Linda Dobele ended the even tied for 42nd.
The Bucs will return to action on Monday, March 24, at the Briar's Creek Invitational in John's Island, S.C. For more on ETSU women's golf throughout the 2013-14 spring season
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs shutout Keydets
- Buc’s men’s soccer ties Wofford Bears, 3-3
- Lady Bucs defeat Wofford
- ‘It’s a Girl’ addresses gendercide
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ game has become Nintendo’s kingmaker
- Volunteers needed for fall carnival that will take place Oct. 24
- Meditation aids in relaxation, improvement of mental, physical health
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”