Students voice opinions on states dealing with gay marriage bans
With the recent court decisions made in Tennessee and Texas, the subject of same-sex marriage bans have become an ever-present issue in the U.S.
Haley Richardson, a junior at ETSU, said that the same-sex issue was an important issue that needs to be addressed.
"The subject of same-sex marriage and the ludicrous bans seem so dated, especially in a country that prides itself on being the land of the free," Richardson said. "A change or, at least, a step in a direction that will resolve this issue is very much needed."
With the recent news of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam appealing the recent same-sex marriage order, which would have allowed the state to recognize three same-sex marriages, the issue of same-sex marriage has once again stepped into the limelight.
Students at ETSU from both sides of the argument have articulated their positions, while others show little interest in the issue.
Connor Shedd, a freshman currently attending ETSU, said that he does not care about the issue.
"To be perfectly honest I don't quite care about it," Shedd said. "It doesn't really affect me nor how I live my life so why bother getting all worked up over something like this?"
Some students support the current ban of same-sex marriage in the state of Tennessee. One such student, Aaron Yielding, a junior at East Tennessee State University, said that he believes that marriage is the matrimony of man and woman in the eyes of the church.
"They should instead seek to allow civil unions be allowed to same-sex couples," Yielding said.
"It allows the same benefits and we won't have to deal with tampering with something very traditional to many people."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership