Students voice opinions on states dealing with gay marriage bans
With the recent court decisions made in Tennessee and Texas, the subject of same-sex marriage bans have become an ever-present issue in the U.S.
Haley Richardson, a junior at ETSU, said that the same-sex issue was an important issue that needs to be addressed.
"The subject of same-sex marriage and the ludicrous bans seem so dated, especially in a country that prides itself on being the land of the free," Richardson said. "A change or, at least, a step in a direction that will resolve this issue is very much needed."
With the recent news of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam appealing the recent same-sex marriage order, which would have allowed the state to recognize three same-sex marriages, the issue of same-sex marriage has once again stepped into the limelight.
Students at ETSU from both sides of the argument have articulated their positions, while others show little interest in the issue.
Connor Shedd, a freshman currently attending ETSU, said that he does not care about the issue.
"To be perfectly honest I don't quite care about it," Shedd said. "It doesn't really affect me nor how I live my life so why bother getting all worked up over something like this?"
Some students support the current ban of same-sex marriage in the state of Tennessee. One such student, Aaron Yielding, a junior at East Tennessee State University, said that he believes that marriage is the matrimony of man and woman in the eyes of the church.
"They should instead seek to allow civil unions be allowed to same-sex couples," Yielding said.
"It allows the same benefits and we won't have to deal with tampering with something very traditional to many people."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Bucs shutout Keydets
- Buc’s men’s soccer ties Wofford Bears, 3-3
- Lady Bucs defeat Wofford
- ‘It’s a Girl’ addresses gendercide
- ‘Super Smash Bros.’ game has become Nintendo’s kingmaker
- Volunteers needed for fall carnival that will take place Oct. 24
- Meditation aids in relaxation, improvement of mental, physical health
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”