Students voice opinions on states dealing with gay marriage bans
With the recent court decisions made in Tennessee and Texas, the subject of same-sex marriage bans have become an ever-present issue in the U.S.
Haley Richardson, a junior at ETSU, said that the same-sex issue was an important issue that needs to be addressed.
"The subject of same-sex marriage and the ludicrous bans seem so dated, especially in a country that prides itself on being the land of the free," Richardson said. "A change or, at least, a step in a direction that will resolve this issue is very much needed."
With the recent news of Tennessee Governor Bill Haslam appealing the recent same-sex marriage order, which would have allowed the state to recognize three same-sex marriages, the issue of same-sex marriage has once again stepped into the limelight.
Students at ETSU from both sides of the argument have articulated their positions, while others show little interest in the issue.
Connor Shedd, a freshman currently attending ETSU, said that he does not care about the issue.
"To be perfectly honest I don't quite care about it," Shedd said. "It doesn't really affect me nor how I live my life so why bother getting all worked up over something like this?"
Some students support the current ban of same-sex marriage in the state of Tennessee. One such student, Aaron Yielding, a junior at East Tennessee State University, said that he believes that marriage is the matrimony of man and woman in the eyes of the church.
"They should instead seek to allow civil unions be allowed to same-sex couples," Yielding said.
"It allows the same benefits and we won't have to deal with tampering with something very traditional to many people."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
- 4 Basic Exercises to Help Older Adults Improve Strength...
- New Drug May Help Control the Spread of Cancer
- Uber to Passengers: Our Drivers May Be Unsafe
- Thermal Imaging Camera Helps Find Hidden Damage in Your Home
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!
- FARE's College Food Allergy Program Pilots in a Dozen Schools Nationwide
- HOTSHOT® HOT Canned Coffee gets a Jolt from Kickstarter
- From dating to internships - it's everything you need to know about college: The Her Campus Guide to College Life, Out Now