Ice cream leads to even sweeter treat
I was sitting in my language class when I had received a text message from the woman who took me to church a couple weeks ago.
It was spontaneous yet delightful invitation to go have ice cream with her before my last class of the week.
I waited until class was over to respond to her and I was glad to go for ice cream on such a warm day with her.
After we ordered and received our delicious, creamy treat, we sat down and started to indulge.
At first, we talked about stuff we did for our jobs, but then the conversation turned towards something that really touched my heart.
She took out a plastic bag, and of course there was something inside that she had wanted to give to me.
She took out a lovely pink Bible. I had told her before that my favorite color was pink (though I don't think anyone ever needs to ask. I wear pink all the time).
I haven't had a Bible since I was very little. That one was a "Precious Moments" Bible that I have long since either had misplaced or maybe even thrown out during the time in my life I had decided to give up on religion.
This Bible though, this pink-covered gift with lovely silver-edged pages, was in a way similar to that "Precious Moments" Bible I had long ago: It was for beginners.
Though the "Precious Moments" Bible was more geared towards children, as one would expect, this one wasn't.
But it still had sections that would walk you through different aspects of the Bible.
The red text was text that Jesus had spoken, and there were other things that makes this religious experience a learning one. For instance, there was a whole section on why translators used the words that they did while translating as well as what they had added into the text (like the addition of words like "woman" or "women" to the text).
Also, they would add what Hebrew words meant.
In the back, there were specific scriptures listed for different troubles one may be feeling.
Scriptures for loneliness, depression and other things. It was very interesting and helpful for me.
I have never read the Bible. I've only read a few scriptures quoted here and there, so I am happy to read this more in depth.
The most thoughtful thing in that Bible, though, was the first flyleaf of the Bible.
Anyone would expect it to just be an empty page one pays no mind to, but when I turned the page, there was a long list of names.
"I took this to the church and everyone there signed that Bible for you," the woman said.
That touched my heart so deeply, I almost cried.
We continued to talk and eat our ice cream and at the end out our ice cream date, she invited me to church with her for Easter.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!