ETSU fails to protect from phishing
I am writing in response to the article, "Students Suffer from Phishing Scam," included in your March 27 issue.
I personally e-mailed the Student Help Desk as well as contacted the university and left a message on March 9, attempting to warn them about this potential threat as soon as I received it in my inbox, hoping to safeguard others.
In my e-mail I asked if they could please send out a general e-mail informing and cautioning students about this scam.
I received an e-mail back with the cursory reply, "It is not legitimate. Please disregard."
No such general e-mail was ever sent to students regarding this specific threat.
In the article's ending statement, Mr. Bragg says that, "Ultimately, one mistake can have serious repercussions for the whole university."
Perhaps that one mistake is not taking heed to student warnings that could have prevented student accounts from being compromised and the university from becoming a "prominent target" for phishers.
In the future, I hope that the university will take greater notice and take stronger precautions to further protect students by alerting them when such a threat is identified.
- Heather Fultz
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Student tickets go quickly for first football game
- Victory from within at ETSU
- Arts Initiative generates community enthusiasm
- Men’s soccer ends exhibition play with win
- Women’s volleyball predicted to have outstanding season
- Search ongoing for starting quarterback
- Football program boasts memorable history
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Five Tips for Making Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE