ETSU fails to protect from phishing
I am writing in response to the article, "Students Suffer from Phishing Scam," included in your March 27 issue.
I personally e-mailed the Student Help Desk as well as contacted the university and left a message on March 9, attempting to warn them about this potential threat as soon as I received it in my inbox, hoping to safeguard others.
In my e-mail I asked if they could please send out a general e-mail informing and cautioning students about this scam.
I received an e-mail back with the cursory reply, "It is not legitimate. Please disregard."
No such general e-mail was ever sent to students regarding this specific threat.
In the article's ending statement, Mr. Bragg says that, "Ultimately, one mistake can have serious repercussions for the whole university."
Perhaps that one mistake is not taking heed to student warnings that could have prevented student accounts from being compromised and the university from becoming a "prominent target" for phishers.
In the future, I hope that the university will take greater notice and take stronger precautions to further protect students by alerting them when such a threat is identified.
- Heather Fultz
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists