ETSU fails to protect from phishing
I am writing in response to the article, "Students Suffer from Phishing Scam," included in your March 27 issue.
I personally e-mailed the Student Help Desk as well as contacted the university and left a message on March 9, attempting to warn them about this potential threat as soon as I received it in my inbox, hoping to safeguard others.
In my e-mail I asked if they could please send out a general e-mail informing and cautioning students about this scam.
I received an e-mail back with the cursory reply, "It is not legitimate. Please disregard."
No such general e-mail was ever sent to students regarding this specific threat.
In the article's ending statement, Mr. Bragg says that, "Ultimately, one mistake can have serious repercussions for the whole university."
Perhaps that one mistake is not taking heed to student warnings that could have prevented student accounts from being compromised and the university from becoming a "prominent target" for phishers.
In the future, I hope that the university will take greater notice and take stronger precautions to further protect students by alerting them when such a threat is identified.
- Heather Fultz
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Kristjansson returns for final season on men’s golf team
- Undergrad student focuses on holistic medicine
- Willow Tree offers inviting atmosphere for students
- ETSU gears up for Culp renovations
- Parking services seeking student input
- SGA executive laments lack of legislation
- Tennessee Promise has slight effect on enrollment
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Could The Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Can Insurance Companies Adapt to Today's Fast-Paced...
- Help Fund Your Favorite School Cause One Apple at a Time
- New TIPS Program Focuses on Preventing Youth Sports Injuries
- Don't Let Spooky Pests Haunt Your Home This Fall
- Weight Loss Procedure Hits a Nerve -- Literally
- Clues in the Attic: Pre-Winter Roof Checkups Made Easy
- Feeding Your Joints to Stay on the Move
- High Tech Pearls Are Captivating the Younger Jewelry...
- Making Halloween a Treat For Parents As Well As Kids