ETSU fails to protect from phishing
I am writing in response to the article, "Students Suffer from Phishing Scam," included in your March 27 issue.
I personally e-mailed the Student Help Desk as well as contacted the university and left a message on March 9, attempting to warn them about this potential threat as soon as I received it in my inbox, hoping to safeguard others.
In my e-mail I asked if they could please send out a general e-mail informing and cautioning students about this scam.
I received an e-mail back with the cursory reply, "It is not legitimate. Please disregard."
No such general e-mail was ever sent to students regarding this specific threat.
In the article's ending statement, Mr. Bragg says that, "Ultimately, one mistake can have serious repercussions for the whole university."
Perhaps that one mistake is not taking heed to student warnings that could have prevented student accounts from being compromised and the university from becoming a "prominent target" for phishers.
In the future, I hope that the university will take greater notice and take stronger precautions to further protect students by alerting them when such a threat is identified.
- Heather Fultz
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership