Strong pitching isn't enough, Bucs fall to UNF, 4-2
Senior pitcher Katie Wolff allowed just three earned runs through 5⅓ innings of work Sunday afternoon; however, ETSU's offense mustered only two runs, as the Bucs suffered a narrow, 4-2 setback to North Florida.
The victory gave UNF the series win, as the two teams split a double-header Saturday.
Wolff hurled a no-hitter through three innings, and had allowed just two hits after five before UNF put together a three-run sixth inning.
Freshman Taylor Carter minimized the damage done by the Ospreys (25-19, 9-12) in the sixth inning.
After relieving Wolff and inheriting runners on first and second with just one out, Carter retired two of UNF's next three batters to escape the inning, forcing UNF to strand three runners on base.
Junior Nicole Fox led off ETSU's half of the sixth with a single to the shortstop. Fox then proceeded to swipe second base, her team-best 18th stolen base in just 20 attempts.
Back-to-back singles by Wolff and fellow senior Jackie Baird plated Fox to cut the Bucs' deficit to 4-1.
After Danielle Knoetze reached base on a fielder's choice, junior Alex Everett came to the plate with the bases loaded and just one out.
Everett popped up to the catcher; however, Carter followed by drawing a walk, plating one more run.
Casey Horner struck out swinging to end the inning, leaving three runners on base.
The Bucs were unable to manufacture any runs in the bottom of the seventh, falling, 4-2.
ETSU will conclude its seven-game homestand Wednesday as the Bucs host Southern Conference opponent Furman for a double-header.
Wednesday's games will begin at 4 and 6 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!