Mini-Dome will undergo construction
ETSU's Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center will be undergoing construction this summer.
Construction to replace the Mini Dome's roof will begin on May 15, according to Bill Rasnick Jr., associate vice president of facilities planning, management and construction.
"The Dome still has the original roof that was installed in 1977," Rasnick said. "The current roof has leaked for many years and is in need of replacement."
Rasnick said that the construction on the roof is estimated to take somewhere about seven months to complete.
"Much of the roof replacement work will be completed by Aug. 15, but the project itself will not be finalized until November 2014," Rasnick said.
According to Rasnick, the cost of the roof replacement project is about $4 million.
"The funding for the roof replacement is state capital maintenance dollars," Rasnick said.
Other Facilities Management projects that are scheduled to occur over the summer include repaving the parking lot at Luntsford Apartments, replacing windows in several campus buildings, and replacing the lighting in several campus buildings. A full list of Facilities Management's major projects, along with details regarding progress and estimated budgets for each project, can be found on the ETSU facilities home page.
The Mini Dome's current roof has long been in need of replacement.
"The normal life of this type of roof system is 20 years so we have more than surpassed the roof's useful life," Rasnick said.
But Rasnick said that the plans for this project have been a priority for some time now.
"The Dome roof replacement project has been a priority for many years," Rasnick said. "The funding and technology have both been issues in the past. We are fortunate to receive the state capital maintenance dollars for this project and are excited to get the work started."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections