Freeman lands more national honors
The awards keep rolling in for ETSU senior two-way player Clinton Freeman.
A day after claiming Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball and Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honors, Freeman was named National Player of the Week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.
Freeman helped guide the ETSU baseball team to its second consecutive A-Sun series win as the Bucs won two of three against Northern Kentucky over the weekend at Thomas Stadium.
In the three games last week, Freeman recorded monstrous numbers as he hit .800 (8-10) with two doubles, two walks, four home runs, six runs, and nine RBI, while also totaling an astonishing 2.200 slugging and .769 on-base percentage.
Along with the numbers recorded at the plate, the southpaw earned two saves as he tossed three scoreless innings in a pair of appearances on the mound.
The Jonesborough, Tenn., native hit two home runs in consecutive days as his pair of two-run blasts helped rally the Bucs to a 6-3 win over Northern Kentucky on Saturday at Thomas Stadium, while he followed that up with a solo shot and a two-run homer on Sunday, marking the fourth time in his career Freeman has belted two home runs in one game.
Freeman tied a career high with a four-hit effort on Sunday as he went a perfect 4-for-4 with four runs and four RBI.
Freeman helped secure a 6-3 win in the series opener on Friday night, as the left-hander tossed the final two innings to earn the save, while pitching the final inning of Saturday's win for his 16th career save.
After hitting .800 on the weekend, Freeman is now batting .400 (42-105) with 11 doubles, one triple, six home runs and 31 RBI on the season. Meanwhile, Freeman also extended his streak of playing in 142 consecutive games which is the 14th longest active streak among NCAA players.
This marks the second time this season Freeman has been honored by the NCBWA as he was named Third Team Preseason All-America back in December.
Freeman and the Bucs embark on a five-game road swing beginning Tuesday night when ETSU takes on No. 25 Tennessee at 6 p.m. at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS