Freeman lands more national honors
The awards keep rolling in for ETSU senior two-way player Clinton Freeman.
A day after claiming Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball and Atlantic Sun Player of the Week honors, Freeman was named National Player of the Week by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.
Freeman helped guide the ETSU baseball team to its second consecutive A-Sun series win as the Bucs won two of three against Northern Kentucky over the weekend at Thomas Stadium.
In the three games last week, Freeman recorded monstrous numbers as he hit .800 (8-10) with two doubles, two walks, four home runs, six runs, and nine RBI, while also totaling an astonishing 2.200 slugging and .769 on-base percentage.
Along with the numbers recorded at the plate, the southpaw earned two saves as he tossed three scoreless innings in a pair of appearances on the mound.
The Jonesborough, Tenn., native hit two home runs in consecutive days as his pair of two-run blasts helped rally the Bucs to a 6-3 win over Northern Kentucky on Saturday at Thomas Stadium, while he followed that up with a solo shot and a two-run homer on Sunday, marking the fourth time in his career Freeman has belted two home runs in one game.
Freeman tied a career high with a four-hit effort on Sunday as he went a perfect 4-for-4 with four runs and four RBI.
Freeman helped secure a 6-3 win in the series opener on Friday night, as the left-hander tossed the final two innings to earn the save, while pitching the final inning of Saturday's win for his 16th career save.
After hitting .800 on the weekend, Freeman is now batting .400 (42-105) with 11 doubles, one triple, six home runs and 31 RBI on the season. Meanwhile, Freeman also extended his streak of playing in 142 consecutive games which is the 14th longest active streak among NCAA players.
This marks the second time this season Freeman has been honored by the NCBWA as he was named Third Team Preseason All-America back in December.
Freeman and the Bucs embark on a five-game road swing beginning Tuesday night when ETSU takes on No. 25 Tennessee at 6 p.m. at Lindsey Nelson Stadium.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses