ETSU drops two at EKU, hosts Presbyterian Thursday
ETSU plated three runs in the sixth inning thanks to a solo homer by Knoetze and a two-tun home run by Casey Horner,but the Bucs did not hold the lead. James Edgar
The ETSU softball team let a 3-0 lead slip away in the final inning, falling, 4-3, to Eastern Kentucky in Game Two of Tuesday's double-header. The Bucs suffered a 5-0 setback in the day's opening game, with EKU ace Leanna Pittsenbarger striking out 12 batters en route to tossing her second career no-hitter.
The ETSU offense was unable to overcome Pittsenbarger's sensational performance, as freshman Danielle Knoetze was the lone batter to reach base, drawing a walk in the top of the second inning.
Pittsenbarger entered the day ranking 10th in the nation with 10.2 strikeouts per seven innings pitched, and 29th in ERA (1.38).
The Buccaneers (14-17) bounced back in Game Two of the double-header, with freshman pitcher Taylor Carter allowing just three hits through the game's first six innings.
ETSU plated three runs in the sixth inning thanks to a solo homer by Knoetze and a two-run home run by Casey Horner, however, the Bucs were unable to hold the lead.
The Colonels (16-12) rallied in the bottom of the seventh, beginning the inning with five consecutive singles resulting in two runs.
With runners on second and third with no outs, Lauren Mitchell reached on a fielder's choice, allowing Sarah Fobbs to score the game-tying run. Mitchell would go on to score the game-winning run on a fielding error by Sam Carpenter with two outs.
The Buccaneers will host Presbyterian for a non-conference double-header Thursday, with game times at 4 and 6 p.m.
The Blue Hose (18-15) won four consecutive games between March 22-29, but have lost three straight games, losing two out of three games to Longwood before falling on the road to South Carolina.
Presbyterian is paced at the plate by Jill McLean, Kersten Legacki, and Hope Rogers, who are each batting better than .337 on the year.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- System recognizes gender spectrum
- ETSU Pride Band opens for Krüger Brothers
- Inclement weather makes it possible for editor to spend more time with...
- RTVF students to present original films
- Bucs end regular season with loss to Mercer
- ETSU split wins with visiting Butler
- Tennis dominates Tennessee Tech in convincing style
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone