Carter's three-run homer caps win for Bucs
A three-run, go-ahead home run by freshman Taylor Carter capped ETSU's come-from-behind win over Northern Kentucky Saturday.
The Buccaneers softball team erased a five-run deficit, scoring six unanswered runs, to knock off the Norse.
After failing to record a hit in the game's opening three innings, ETSU's offense came alive in the fourth frame, with freshman Danielle Knoetze belting a two-run homer to left centerfield to drive home Katie Wolff and cut the Bucs' deficit to 5-2.
Pitching in relief, junior Whitney Leon held the Norse (3-24, 1-9) to just one earned run in five and two-third innings of work.
With Leon neutralizing the NKU offense, the Bucs (12-15, 2-8) capitalized with a four-run sixth inning highlighted by Carter's fourth homer of the season.
Junior Alex Everett, led off the sixth with a single to centerfield before moving to third on a Jackie Baird double to left.
After Knoetze drew a walk to load the bases, sophomore Bethany Cowart advanced the runners with a sacrifice fly to right field, plating Everett and cutting ETSU's deficit to 5-3.
Just two pitches later, the Bucs would capture the lead, as Carter turned on an 0-1 pitch, driving a homer over the left field wall.
Carter, who is batting .299 on the year, ranks second on the team in RBI (20), home runs (4), and total bases (40).
On the mound, the Brazil, Ind., native has posted a team-best 8-5 record, allowing just six walks in 76 and two-thirds innings, ranking second in the nation for fewest walks per seven innings (0.55).
The Bucs sealed their victory in the seventh inning 6-5.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU Farmers’ Market seeks musicians for upcoming season
- Guitarist will perform at ETSU
- 14 students attend open forums about Culp renovation
- Senate passes resolution allowing students to write on office window
- ETSU tennis team 2-0 in Southern Conference
- Lady Bucs end season with loss to NC State
- ETSU announces stadium location
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Railway Emergency Training Keeps Responders on Track
- 6 Myths About Pet Allergies
- Medical Cannabis Is Growing Like, Well, a Weed
- 6 Common Myths About Pet Allergies
- 5 Things You Don't Know About Superbugs
- BrainStormers: Backyard DIY Inventors Tackle Weather,...
- 4 Surprising Tips You Need to Know Before Buying or...
- What Does It Mean to File a Tax Extension?
- 8 consejos para que las personas de la tercera edad...
- Buyer Beware: Termite Inspections a Necessity for Spring...