Carter's three-run homer caps win for Bucs
A three-run, go-ahead home run by freshman Taylor Carter capped ETSU's come-from-behind win over Northern Kentucky Saturday.
The Buccaneers softball team erased a five-run deficit, scoring six unanswered runs, to knock off the Norse.
After failing to record a hit in the game's opening three innings, ETSU's offense came alive in the fourth frame, with freshman Danielle Knoetze belting a two-run homer to left centerfield to drive home Katie Wolff and cut the Bucs' deficit to 5-2.
Pitching in relief, junior Whitney Leon held the Norse (3-24, 1-9) to just one earned run in five and two-third innings of work.
With Leon neutralizing the NKU offense, the Bucs (12-15, 2-8) capitalized with a four-run sixth inning highlighted by Carter's fourth homer of the season.
Junior Alex Everett, led off the sixth with a single to centerfield before moving to third on a Jackie Baird double to left.
After Knoetze drew a walk to load the bases, sophomore Bethany Cowart advanced the runners with a sacrifice fly to right field, plating Everett and cutting ETSU's deficit to 5-3.
Just two pitches later, the Bucs would capture the lead, as Carter turned on an 0-1 pitch, driving a homer over the left field wall.
Carter, who is batting .299 on the year, ranks second on the team in RBI (20), home runs (4), and total bases (40).
On the mound, the Brazil, Ind., native has posted a team-best 8-5 record, allowing just six walks in 76 and two-thirds innings, ranking second in the nation for fewest walks per seven innings (0.55).
The Bucs sealed their victory in the seventh inning 6-5.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ‘Proof’ will premiere at ETSU on Thursday
- Made in East Tennessee postponed until March 3
- YouTubers entertain subscribers
- Bucs baseball put in strong performance at Upstate Classic
- Bucs drop second loss to UTC
- Inclement weather policy fails to keep university open
- Information about Ghandi, Mother Teresa renders less positive depictions of...
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
- Singapore Pastor Kong Hee Maintains Innocence, Gains...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone
- Sodexo Expands Ongoing Commitment to More Humane Supply Chain through its Comprehensive Animal Welfare Policy