Carter's three-run homer caps win for Bucs
A three-run, go-ahead home run by freshman Taylor Carter capped ETSU's come-from-behind win over Northern Kentucky Saturday.
The Buccaneers softball team erased a five-run deficit, scoring six unanswered runs, to knock off the Norse.
After failing to record a hit in the game's opening three innings, ETSU's offense came alive in the fourth frame, with freshman Danielle Knoetze belting a two-run homer to left centerfield to drive home Katie Wolff and cut the Bucs' deficit to 5-2.
Pitching in relief, junior Whitney Leon held the Norse (3-24, 1-9) to just one earned run in five and two-third innings of work.
With Leon neutralizing the NKU offense, the Bucs (12-15, 2-8) capitalized with a four-run sixth inning highlighted by Carter's fourth homer of the season.
Junior Alex Everett, led off the sixth with a single to centerfield before moving to third on a Jackie Baird double to left.
After Knoetze drew a walk to load the bases, sophomore Bethany Cowart advanced the runners with a sacrifice fly to right field, plating Everett and cutting ETSU's deficit to 5-3.
Just two pitches later, the Bucs would capture the lead, as Carter turned on an 0-1 pitch, driving a homer over the left field wall.
Carter, who is batting .299 on the year, ranks second on the team in RBI (20), home runs (4), and total bases (40).
On the mound, the Brazil, Ind., native has posted a team-best 8-5 record, allowing just six walks in 76 and two-thirds innings, ranking second in the nation for fewest walks per seven innings (0.55).
The Bucs sealed their victory in the seventh inning 6-5.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Bee Safe While Gardening to Protect Pollinators
- Military Seeks Better Alternatives for Treating Pain...
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!