Freeman powers Bucs to series win over NKU, 6-3
Clinton Freeman put on a show for the Buccaneer faithful on Saturday at Thomas Stadium.
The senior slugger belted a pair of two-run home runs, including the game-winning blast in the eighth inning, as ETSU rallied for a series-clinching 6-3 win over Northern Kentucky.
Freeman gave the Blue and Gold an early 2-0 lead with a two-run shot in the first, and after being held scoreless for the next six-plus innings, the preseason
Louisville Slugger First Team All-American ignited a four-run eighth inning when he belted another two-run bomb to rally ETSU past the Norse.
The Jonesborough, Tenn., native, who has now hit two homers in a game for the third time in his career, has feasted on NKU pitching this weekend.
After going a perfect 3 for 3 with a walk, two homers and four RBI on Saturday, Freeman is now hitting .667 (4-6) on the weekend.
Following the round tripper in the eighth, Freeman quickly went into the Buccaneer bullpen and closed out the game in the ninth for his sixth save of the season.
Junior right-hander Jimmy Nesselt picked up a no-decision after giving ETSU his fifth quality start of the campaign. Nesselt allowed three runs on six hits in seven innings of work, while senior righty Will Chesney earned the win (2-1) after tossing a perfect inning in the eighth.
Joining Freeman with a productive day at the plate was freshman Chris Cook as he went 1 for 3 with one walk and scored on both of Freeman's blasts.
Cook has now reached base safely in 12 straight games, while senior Dylan Tritsch has also accomplished the same feat after reaching on a single in the eighth inning.
Senior Tyler Roach extended a streak of his own on Saturday as he has now reached safely in eight consecutive contests after going 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Freeman surrendered a leadoff single to Caleb Kellogg in the ninth, but the southpaw retired the next three hitters he faced to secure the victory for the Blue and Gold.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University lights campus for holidays
- Pink Floyd to release 'Endless River'
- '22 Jump Street' defies sequel reputation norms
- SGA will try to keep dead week lively
- Disability Services to create new policy increasing volunteer numbers
- ETSU considering two places for fine arts facility
- Fraternity placed under suspension
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge