Freeman powers Bucs to series win over NKU, 6-3
Clinton Freeman put on a show for the Buccaneer faithful on Saturday at Thomas Stadium.
The senior slugger belted a pair of two-run home runs, including the game-winning blast in the eighth inning, as ETSU rallied for a series-clinching 6-3 win over Northern Kentucky.
Freeman gave the Blue and Gold an early 2-0 lead with a two-run shot in the first, and after being held scoreless for the next six-plus innings, the preseason
Louisville Slugger First Team All-American ignited a four-run eighth inning when he belted another two-run bomb to rally ETSU past the Norse.
The Jonesborough, Tenn., native, who has now hit two homers in a game for the third time in his career, has feasted on NKU pitching this weekend.
After going a perfect 3 for 3 with a walk, two homers and four RBI on Saturday, Freeman is now hitting .667 (4-6) on the weekend.
Following the round tripper in the eighth, Freeman quickly went into the Buccaneer bullpen and closed out the game in the ninth for his sixth save of the season.
Junior right-hander Jimmy Nesselt picked up a no-decision after giving ETSU his fifth quality start of the campaign. Nesselt allowed three runs on six hits in seven innings of work, while senior righty Will Chesney earned the win (2-1) after tossing a perfect inning in the eighth.
Joining Freeman with a productive day at the plate was freshman Chris Cook as he went 1 for 3 with one walk and scored on both of Freeman's blasts.
Cook has now reached base safely in 12 straight games, while senior Dylan Tritsch has also accomplished the same feat after reaching on a single in the eighth inning.
Senior Tyler Roach extended a streak of his own on Saturday as he has now reached safely in eight consecutive contests after going 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Freeman surrendered a leadoff single to Caleb Kellogg in the ninth, but the southpaw retired the next three hitters he faced to secure the victory for the Blue and Gold.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- ETSU screening travelers to countries with known Ebola outbreaks
- ETSU appoints director of Veterans Affairs
- Organizers finalize Sex Week preparations
- ‘Selma’ mirrors controversies in modern America
- Johnson City Community Theatre will hold auditions for RENT Feb. 15 and 16
- Women’s Studies announces spring Women on Wednesdays lineup
- Lady Bucs conquer Lady Terriers, 69-47
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World