Freeman powers Bucs to series win over NKU, 6-3
Clinton Freeman put on a show for the Buccaneer faithful on Saturday at Thomas Stadium.
The senior slugger belted a pair of two-run home runs, including the game-winning blast in the eighth inning, as ETSU rallied for a series-clinching 6-3 win over Northern Kentucky.
Freeman gave the Blue and Gold an early 2-0 lead with a two-run shot in the first, and after being held scoreless for the next six-plus innings, the preseason
Louisville Slugger First Team All-American ignited a four-run eighth inning when he belted another two-run bomb to rally ETSU past the Norse.
The Jonesborough, Tenn., native, who has now hit two homers in a game for the third time in his career, has feasted on NKU pitching this weekend.
After going a perfect 3 for 3 with a walk, two homers and four RBI on Saturday, Freeman is now hitting .667 (4-6) on the weekend.
Following the round tripper in the eighth, Freeman quickly went into the Buccaneer bullpen and closed out the game in the ninth for his sixth save of the season.
Junior right-hander Jimmy Nesselt picked up a no-decision after giving ETSU his fifth quality start of the campaign. Nesselt allowed three runs on six hits in seven innings of work, while senior righty Will Chesney earned the win (2-1) after tossing a perfect inning in the eighth.
Joining Freeman with a productive day at the plate was freshman Chris Cook as he went 1 for 3 with one walk and scored on both of Freeman's blasts.
Cook has now reached base safely in 12 straight games, while senior Dylan Tritsch has also accomplished the same feat after reaching on a single in the eighth inning.
Senior Tyler Roach extended a streak of his own on Saturday as he has now reached safely in eight consecutive contests after going 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Freeman surrendered a leadoff single to Caleb Kellogg in the ninth, but the southpaw retired the next three hitters he faced to secure the victory for the Blue and Gold.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!