Freeman powers Bucs to series win over NKU, 6-3
Clinton Freeman put on a show for the Buccaneer faithful on Saturday at Thomas Stadium.
The senior slugger belted a pair of two-run home runs, including the game-winning blast in the eighth inning, as ETSU rallied for a series-clinching 6-3 win over Northern Kentucky.
Freeman gave the Blue and Gold an early 2-0 lead with a two-run shot in the first, and after being held scoreless for the next six-plus innings, the preseason
Louisville Slugger First Team All-American ignited a four-run eighth inning when he belted another two-run bomb to rally ETSU past the Norse.
The Jonesborough, Tenn., native, who has now hit two homers in a game for the third time in his career, has feasted on NKU pitching this weekend.
After going a perfect 3 for 3 with a walk, two homers and four RBI on Saturday, Freeman is now hitting .667 (4-6) on the weekend.
Following the round tripper in the eighth, Freeman quickly went into the Buccaneer bullpen and closed out the game in the ninth for his sixth save of the season.
Junior right-hander Jimmy Nesselt picked up a no-decision after giving ETSU his fifth quality start of the campaign. Nesselt allowed three runs on six hits in seven innings of work, while senior righty Will Chesney earned the win (2-1) after tossing a perfect inning in the eighth.
Joining Freeman with a productive day at the plate was freshman Chris Cook as he went 1 for 3 with one walk and scored on both of Freeman's blasts.
Cook has now reached base safely in 12 straight games, while senior Dylan Tritsch has also accomplished the same feat after reaching on a single in the eighth inning.
Senior Tyler Roach extended a streak of his own on Saturday as he has now reached safely in eight consecutive contests after going 2 for 4 with a run scored.
Freeman surrendered a leadoff single to Caleb Kellogg in the ninth, but the southpaw retired the next three hitters he faced to secure the victory for the Blue and Gold.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- System recognizes gender spectrum
- ETSU Pride Band opens for Krüger Brothers
- Inclement weather makes it possible for editor to spend more time with...
- RTVF students to present original films
- Bucs end regular season with loss to Mercer
- ETSU split wins with visiting Butler
- Tennis dominates Tennessee Tech in convincing style
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes