Don't have a long face on Mother's Day
The end is near!
Only the last couple days of this week and then finals week, and you all have successfully completed the 2013-14 school year!
Or at least the 2014 semester.
Congratulations either way!
Now, unless you're staying for the summer semester, the end means going back home to family and old friends.
Summer time of course means relaxation - or at least a little more relaxation now that you have 16 credit hours off your plate.
I for one am excited about the conclusion of this semester because this is the first time I have ever spent an entire year at a university.
I attended community college before hand of course, and even spent my first semester of my college career at St. Catherine University, but I never moved away from home and attended school for a solid academic year. I feel quite accomplished now.
Next year, I will be living here too, for one more solid year until graduation so I am certainly excited for that ... as many juniors are at this point.
I worry about moving out of the dorm, though. Moving into the dorm at the beginning of the school year wasn't too much of a hassle and neither was leaving for winter break, but I know many people have a final on the very last day of finals week.
I know a lot of us will be leaving at the same time, and I hope it's not chaotic. I haven't heard any horror stories yet, so I probably have nothing to worry about.
The beginning of my summer will begin not in Illinois, but in Paris.
No, not Paris, France, but Paris, Ky.
After being picked up by my mother, she and I are going to see the famous Claiborne Farm in Paris, Ky.
It is more a vacation for her then for me because she's the one who made the long haul south for me and hey - Mother's Day is the 11th.
I'd say I'll score the most points this mother's day out of my siblings.
Claiborne Farm is the farm that the famous race horse Secretariat is buried.
For those who don't know, in the mid-'70s, Secretariat won the Triple Crown and ran the fastest time in the Belmont Stakes, a feat that has never been approached by any horse since. He is basically my mom's favorite celebrity.
Other famous Triple Crown contenders, like Orb, who won in the Kentucky Derby last year, reside at this farm, but mostly for breeding purposes. Some horses still race.
Honestly, I wasn't even sure we'd have the chance to ever tour a place like this, because I imagine these horses are treasured, but you can schedule a tour if you e-mail or call.
And the most astonishing part? The tour is free (though tips are appreciated.) I was flabbergasted when I was told that.
This should be an interesting mini vacation and I certainly hope it will be a Mother's Day worth remembering.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Online magazine promotes healthy habits
- Buctainment co-sponsorship of campus events garners greater event attention
- Charles Towne Belles inspires faith
- New exhibitions coming to Reece
- Club soccer team begins at ETSU
- Oshoniyi coaches in 2015 adidas MLS Combine
- I ate my roommate’s girlfriend’s candy, he cried
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor