The Worth of a Person
You are valuable regardless of what happens
The end of the semester is upon us and I wanted to share a simple yet inspiring story that I heard recently.
It is called the "Twenty Dollar Lesson," and I hope it serves you as well as it did me.
A well-known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20 bill. In the room of 200 people, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?"
Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you - but first, let me do this."
He proceeded to crumple the $20 note up. He then asked, "Who still wants it?"
Still the hands were up in the air.
"Well," he replied, "what if I do this?"
He dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe.
He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty, "Now, who still wants it?"
Still the hands went into the air.
"My friends, you have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value.
"It was still worth $20. Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way.
"We feel as though we are worthless; but no matter what happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value.
"Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who love you.
"The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know, but by ... WHO WE ARE.
"You are special - don't ever forget it."
First and foremost, this lesson is very true and something that we should all remember every day about our self-worth.
However, I also thought about how important personal character is to this lesson.
The fact is everybody gets knocked down by life at times. During these times, we can often feel defeated and helpless.
The way we respond to these times, however, is the mark of true character.
The difference between a person with strong character and a person with a weak one does not necessarily lie at the heels of their accomplishments.
No, the difference usually lies within the pathway of how they got there.
As I mentioned, the end of the semester is upon us. Final exams present the opportunity for students to get down on themselves and stress out about getting certain grades.
Let me offer you one word of advice during this hard time: Relax!
I said that because the only thing you can do is try your best.
If deep down you know that you studied as hard as you could and prepared the best way you knew how to prepare, than the rest will work itself out.
Your value as a person is certainly not based on your GPA or your degree.
However, your character can be measured by how you handle the end of the semester. Do not look for an easy route or turn to some form of cheating just to get a better grade.
Use all the resources you have available to you and study as much as you can.
The grade you get will be earned and you will feel a lot better about yourself knowing that your character stood strong in the face of adversity.
Think about the saying, "It isn't about winning or losing; it's how you play the game."
This is a very true statement regardless of what anybody tells you.
I am mixing character with the previous lesson because we tend to just assess results instead of the journey that led us there.
Regardless of the various outcomes in our lives, each of us still has the same value as the person standing next to us.
I realize it is not always easy to see life like that because we cannot always control the outcome of every situation.
However, you can always control the character that you have.
As long as you can lay your head down at night and sleep peacefully with the decisions and actions you made during that day, you have done all you can do and proven your worth as an individual.
If you never take anything else away from reading my articles, I hope you take that last sentence to heart and use it as a tool for your everyday life.
As always, follow me on Twitter @GatorZ25 and let me know what you thought about the article. Stay safe and God Bless!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Number of students housing on campus falls
- SGA pursues student parking rights on campus
- ETSU investigates rape allegations
- Album offers listeners stimulating experience
- CPA offers variety of yoga
- Documentary about toxins leaking into a community’s drinking water will be...
- ‘Blackfish’ questions animal captivity
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership