Student fees fund university programs
The revenue raised by student fees allows the university to operate several programs and offer students certain amenities.
Student fees are listed collectively on student account statements as the program service fee.
The current program service fee for full-time students is set at $672.50. This fee does not include specialized class fees.
David Collins, vice president for finance and administration at ETSU, said that the program service fee is a broad term used to comprise several individual fees.
"The program services fee consists of many parts, such as the TAF fee that is used to ensure that students have the top technology available, athletic fee to help support the intercollegiate athletic program, debt service fees to pay for student areas such as the Center for Physical Activities and the Culp Center, student activity sees to help support student activities such as SGA, health clinic, provide concerts, etc., parking fees, sustainable campus fees, and other such areas," Collins said.
Collins also said that each of the different fees is allocated for the purpose for which it was approved.
"The student activity fee is allocated for various purposes through Student Affairs; fees such as TAF and Sustainable Campus fee are allocated to various projects by committees that include significant student participation," Collins said. "The athletic fee supports all athletics, (not just football); and the parking fee supports parking operations including the construction of the new parking garage.
One of the newest additions to the program service fees will be the $5 student fee implemented in the fall to fund Little Bucs, an on-campus child care program.
"I do personally feel that student program service fees are important because it gives us the chance to have cool and fun events that a majority of students can enjoy," said Hailey Pennington, a student studying nursing at ETSU. "The programs are diverse and help ensure that each student will find an event that interests them."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists