Student fees fund university programs
The revenue raised by student fees allows the university to operate several programs and offer students certain amenities.
Student fees are listed collectively on student account statements as the program service fee.
The current program service fee for full-time students is set at $672.50. This fee does not include specialized class fees.
David Collins, vice president for finance and administration at ETSU, said that the program service fee is a broad term used to comprise several individual fees.
"The program services fee consists of many parts, such as the TAF fee that is used to ensure that students have the top technology available, athletic fee to help support the intercollegiate athletic program, debt service fees to pay for student areas such as the Center for Physical Activities and the Culp Center, student activity sees to help support student activities such as SGA, health clinic, provide concerts, etc., parking fees, sustainable campus fees, and other such areas," Collins said.
Collins also said that each of the different fees is allocated for the purpose for which it was approved.
"The student activity fee is allocated for various purposes through Student Affairs; fees such as TAF and Sustainable Campus fee are allocated to various projects by committees that include significant student participation," Collins said. "The athletic fee supports all athletics, (not just football); and the parking fee supports parking operations including the construction of the new parking garage.
One of the newest additions to the program service fees will be the $5 student fee implemented in the fall to fund Little Bucs, an on-campus child care program.
"I do personally feel that student program service fees are important because it gives us the chance to have cool and fun events that a majority of students can enjoy," said Hailey Pennington, a student studying nursing at ETSU. "The programs are diverse and help ensure that each student will find an event that interests them."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
- Freshman admission rises from last year
- SGA president vetoes Sex Week legislation
- SGA wanted to keep BUC Fund
- Be grateful for those around you
- Don’t settle because you’re scared to fail and do your best in all...
- Semicolons teach a special lesson
- University’s commitment to a dry campus is a joke to students
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR