Spring Break is over, summer is far away
Tips, tricks and advice for powering through the last seven weeks
My motivation to get back to campus at the end of spring break was decidedly lacking.
My break was slow and lazy, though not altogether unproductive. Most of my professors had given me assignments to do over the break, which I miraculously managed to complete.
Still, I was most definitely not ready to get back to the humdrum routine of classes, my APS job, studying and homework.
"After spring break, we only have seven more weeks of classes," my brother Will, a senior here at ETSU, pointed out to me on Friday.
Seven more weeks. I guess this was one of those "is the glass half-empty or half-full" scenarios.
He seemed to view seven weeks as a brief, fleeting span of time; it sounded like an eternity to me.
I reflected on all of this Monday morning as I sat huddled in my car, delaying the walk from the parking lot to my 8:15 class.
I contemplated how Will always has such a good attitude about school; he almost never complains about all the work he has to do.
He has a stressful job as a loss-prevention officer (yeah, it's pretty cool), and he's been pretty busy lately with job searches for after graduation.
Did I mention that he's an accounting major? And here I was, whining about my work-load.
It was definitely time for a new attitude. Time to lay aside all the useless complaining about classes and stress, and discover newfound motivation to complete the rest of the semester.
What, then, are some silver linings to the rest-of-the-semester cloud?
For one thing, the warmer weather ought to help.
After the fickle winter that is only now starting to fade, a bit of spring should help cheer us up during the final push of the semester. Personally, I think that having the opportunity to study outside will be a boost for my work-ethic.
Additionally, there are many upcoming events on campus to ensure that the remainder of the semester isn't all drudgery.
ETSU's baseball season is in full swing right now, and attending a few games with friends should be a nice break from studying.
The street painting for ETSU's Pride Walk starts on April 6, and looks like a fun way for student organizations to make their mark on campus.
And of course, May 10 is the date for graduation ceremonies.
A little perspective is a motivator, too. Even in the 21st century, there are a lot of people in the world who don't have the opportunity to get a college education.
We, on the other hand, are quite blessed to be able to attend a school like ETSU. It's funny how the things we should be the most grateful for are often the things we complain about the most.
At any rate, I'm going to try to keep a positive attitude as I plow through the rest of the spring semester.
I'm not saying that I will always be consistent with it; as my family will readily attest, I don't always handle stress well. But it's certainly worth a try.
Here's to a positive and productive next seven weeks!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists