SGA votes to poll students before moving forward with fall concert
The East Tennessee State University Student Government Association voted Tuesday to poll students before choosing the act for the fall major event.
The discussion that prompted this vote began when SGA Adviser Sally Lee announced that the university might be able to bring Bill Cosby to campus next semester, but, before the university could attempt to book Cosby, Lee said that the SGA would have to approve the action.
"Although SGA often provides a platform for students' voices to be heard, I don't think that the 30 voices in the room should be the sole authority on major issues of events that impact all students," said SGA Sen. Jayke Hamill. "The administration asked us if we wanted us to secure an act (using the major concert fund that comes from student fees) immediately without any prior knowledge or opportunity to speak with other students.
"SGA, as an organization, should stand solely to represent students, not to know what's best for them or to know what they want the most."
Senators discussed the issue of voting on the concert prior to polling their constituents and eventually decided against voting to approve booking Cosby. Instead, the SGA decided to send the issue to a student poll, as it has done in the past.
In accordance with SGA policy, the organization will promote the poll for one week and then conduct the poll for a week. The university will attempt to book the act the student body most desires to see; however, if that act is unavailable, the university will move on to the second-most-requested act and so on until it successfully books an act for the major fall event.
Polling the student body may derail the university in booking Cosby, as his availability for the fall major event was only assured until Friday.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists