Age restriction eliminated for Old Crow Medicine Show concert
The East Tennessee State University Student Government Association approved Tuesday the elimination of the age restriction for the Old Crow Medicine Show concert, scheduled for April 27 in the Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center.
In a 16-7-1 vote, the SGA approved a resolution to allow individuals of all ages to attend the Old Crow Medicine Show concert and to only allow individuals who are 16 or older, with a valid photo ID, to come down onto the floor.
There are some senators who would like to see this decision expanded to include all future concerts.
"I think it should be the parent's decision whether they want to bring their kids to a Wiz Khalifa concert," said Sen. Randy Owenby. "I mean, we should not be policing where children go."
However, there are other senators who did not approve of the elimination of the age restriction.
"ETSU, as it is, doesn't have a very college-y atmosphere," said Sen. Brandon Johnson. "A lot of students don't want to go here and don't want to stay here because they don't believe it's a true college, that you don't get the college experience here."
Sen. Jayke Hamill, who suggested the compromise of letting only individuals who are 16 or older on the floor, said that he believes the elimination of the age restriction would allow more students to attend major events at ETSU.
It's a complicated issue, but ultimately I favor getting rid of the age restriction," Hamill said. "Especially with the amount of students who have children on campus, it gives them the flexibility to enjoy the shows they're paying for without having to find child care."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- Student tickets go quickly for first football game
- Victory from within at ETSU
- Arts Initiative generates community enthusiasm
- Men’s soccer ends exhibition play with win
- Women’s volleyball predicted to have outstanding season
- Search ongoing for starting quarterback
- Football program boasts memorable history
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Don't Miss a Beat: Tips for Enjoying a Live Concert
- Tips to Enjoy Pest-Free Camping This Summer
- Los Hispanos Predominan En El Mercado De Regreso a Clases...
- Chiropractors Offer Advice to Those With Diabetes
- Waste and Recycling Jobs: Opportunities Are Plentiful
- Landfills: An Unexpected Source of Renewable Energy
- The Best Accessories are Easy, Convenient and Portable
- The Latest Buzz Phrase in Health Care
- Content Agency Promises the Best Bang for Your...
- The Best Accessories for Going Swimming
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Five Tips for Making Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home
- Tinder Reveals Top 50 U.S. College Campuses with Most Popular Men and Women
- Little Known Tips to Pay Less at College Bookstores
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE