Age restriction eliminated for Old Crow Medicine Show concert
The East Tennessee State University Student Government Association approved Tuesday the elimination of the age restriction for the Old Crow Medicine Show concert, scheduled for April 27 in the Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center.
In a 16-7-1 vote, the SGA approved a resolution to allow individuals of all ages to attend the Old Crow Medicine Show concert and to only allow individuals who are 16 or older, with a valid photo ID, to come down onto the floor.
There are some senators who would like to see this decision expanded to include all future concerts.
"I think it should be the parent's decision whether they want to bring their kids to a Wiz Khalifa concert," said Sen. Randy Owenby. "I mean, we should not be policing where children go."
However, there are other senators who did not approve of the elimination of the age restriction.
"ETSU, as it is, doesn't have a very college-y atmosphere," said Sen. Brandon Johnson. "A lot of students don't want to go here and don't want to stay here because they don't believe it's a true college, that you don't get the college experience here."
Sen. Jayke Hamill, who suggested the compromise of letting only individuals who are 16 or older on the floor, said that he believes the elimination of the age restriction would allow more students to attend major events at ETSU.
It's a complicated issue, but ultimately I favor getting rid of the age restriction," Hamill said. "Especially with the amount of students who have children on campus, it gives them the flexibility to enjoy the shows they're paying for without having to find child care."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus