Age restriction eliminated for Old Crow Medicine Show concert
The East Tennessee State University Student Government Association approved Tuesday the elimination of the age restriction for the Old Crow Medicine Show concert, scheduled for April 27 in the Mountain States Health Alliance Athletic Center.
In a 16-7-1 vote, the SGA approved a resolution to allow individuals of all ages to attend the Old Crow Medicine Show concert and to only allow individuals who are 16 or older, with a valid photo ID, to come down onto the floor.
There are some senators who would like to see this decision expanded to include all future concerts.
"I think it should be the parent's decision whether they want to bring their kids to a Wiz Khalifa concert," said Sen. Randy Owenby. "I mean, we should not be policing where children go."
However, there are other senators who did not approve of the elimination of the age restriction.
"ETSU, as it is, doesn't have a very college-y atmosphere," said Sen. Brandon Johnson. "A lot of students don't want to go here and don't want to stay here because they don't believe it's a true college, that you don't get the college experience here."
Sen. Jayke Hamill, who suggested the compromise of letting only individuals who are 16 or older on the floor, said that he believes the elimination of the age restriction would allow more students to attend major events at ETSU.
It's a complicated issue, but ultimately I favor getting rid of the age restriction," Hamill said. "Especially with the amount of students who have children on campus, it gives them the flexibility to enjoy the shows they're paying for without having to find child care."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Insuring the Health of America's Emerging...
- New FDA-Cleared Device Significantly Advances IV Therapy...
- Take a Bite Out of Gum Disease By Seeing a Periodontist
- Natural Health Care From Down Under Poised to Make U.S....
- Wellness Travel Is on the Rise
- 3 Steps to Build a Better Nest Egg
- Para los latinos, el Día de las Madres es una...
- Top 4 Signs You Need to Call a Pest Professional
- Another Reason to Choose Chiropractic Care First for Pain...
- Create a Precious Moment for Mom This Mother's Day
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREAT GRADUATION GIFT: WHAT THEY DIDN'T TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL!
- National Foundation for Infectious Diseases Calls on College Campuses to Be Prepared for Meningococcal Disease
- Safety App BlueLight Launches at 10 New Campuses for Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- TD Ameritrade Seeks Applicants for NextGen Financial Planning Scholarships, Grants
- Make it Count: Get the Most out of the End of the Semester!