Freshman weightlifter dreams of competing in the Olympics
Students can visit the Career and Internship Services in the ARC when searching for post-college career consultations. Travis Brown/East Tennessean
Alexis LiCalsi an 18-year-old freshman \from New Port Richey, Fla., has been weightlifting since her sophomore year in high school.
"The athletic scholarships offered here made ETSU a great choice for me." Not only can she grow as an athlete in the weightlifting program, but the scholarships make a college education more accessible.
What LiCalsi enjoys most about being a weightlifter at ETSU is the people who are involved in the weightlifting program. She said she is happy to have befriended her teammates, and to be working with the dedicated coaches and staff that help her grow as an athlete.
LiCalsi's greatest accomplishment so far this season is placing first at the first weightlifting meet here at ETSU.
The weightlifting team traveled to Colorado in early February for the junior nationals competition: LiCalsi placed second.
As for her goals as the weightlifting season continues, she said, "I want to continue to get stronger as the season progresses. I also look forward to improving my lifts and seeing how much I can lift."
And she has even bigger plans for her weightlifting career after her college weightlifting career. "Female weightlifters actually peak athletically later in life than in other sports," she said.
Continuing her training and competing after college will bring her to her ultimate goal, "My dream is to weightlift for the American team in the 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo." That is an impressive goal, but with national titles already under her belt, LiCalsi is well on her way.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!