Freshman weightlifter dreams of competing in the Olympics
Students can visit the Career and Internship Services in the ARC when searching for post-college career consultations. Travis Brown/East Tennessean
Alexis LiCalsi an 18-year-old freshman \from New Port Richey, Fla., has been weightlifting since her sophomore year in high school.
"The athletic scholarships offered here made ETSU a great choice for me." Not only can she grow as an athlete in the weightlifting program, but the scholarships make a college education more accessible.
What LiCalsi enjoys most about being a weightlifter at ETSU is the people who are involved in the weightlifting program. She said she is happy to have befriended her teammates, and to be working with the dedicated coaches and staff that help her grow as an athlete.
LiCalsi's greatest accomplishment so far this season is placing first at the first weightlifting meet here at ETSU.
The weightlifting team traveled to Colorado in early February for the junior nationals competition: LiCalsi placed second.
As for her goals as the weightlifting season continues, she said, "I want to continue to get stronger as the season progresses. I also look forward to improving my lifts and seeing how much I can lift."
And she has even bigger plans for her weightlifting career after her college weightlifting career. "Female weightlifters actually peak athletically later in life than in other sports," she said.
Continuing her training and competing after college will bring her to her ultimate goal, "My dream is to weightlift for the American team in the 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo." That is an impressive goal, but with national titles already under her belt, LiCalsi is well on her way.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses