Freshman weightlifter dreams of competing in the Olympics
Students can visit the Career and Internship Services in the ARC when searching for post-college career consultations. Travis Brown/East Tennessean
Alexis LiCalsi an 18-year-old freshman \from New Port Richey, Fla., has been weightlifting since her sophomore year in high school.
"The athletic scholarships offered here made ETSU a great choice for me." Not only can she grow as an athlete in the weightlifting program, but the scholarships make a college education more accessible.
What LiCalsi enjoys most about being a weightlifter at ETSU is the people who are involved in the weightlifting program. She said she is happy to have befriended her teammates, and to be working with the dedicated coaches and staff that help her grow as an athlete.
LiCalsi's greatest accomplishment so far this season is placing first at the first weightlifting meet here at ETSU.
The weightlifting team traveled to Colorado in early February for the junior nationals competition: LiCalsi placed second.
As for her goals as the weightlifting season continues, she said, "I want to continue to get stronger as the season progresses. I also look forward to improving my lifts and seeing how much I can lift."
And she has even bigger plans for her weightlifting career after her college weightlifting career. "Female weightlifters actually peak athletically later in life than in other sports," she said.
Continuing her training and competing after college will bring her to her ultimate goal, "My dream is to weightlift for the American team in the 2020 Olympic games in Tokyo." That is an impressive goal, but with national titles already under her belt, LiCalsi is well on her way.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Do More With Less
- New Treatment for Undiagnosed Sports Injuries -- From...
- Beat the Crowds: Visit Europe During the Shoulder Seasons
- Building a Better Bridge From Hospital to Home Health Care
- 8 Tips to Selecting Colors for Your Home's Exterior
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- STUDENTS BATTLE FOR FREE COLLEGE TUITION IN BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT'S "HEROES OF THE DORM™" TOURNAMENT
- Entries Now Open for 7th Annual College Sports Media Awards
- Rescue your Spring Break with new app dubbed the "Uber of Roadside Assistance"
- First Lady Michelle Obama and the Peace Corps Join Together to Expand Girls' Education
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users