Longwood rallies past Bucs, 6-4, in home season opener
Despite holding a pair of two-run leads early on, the ETSU baseball team couldn't hold off a scrappy Longwood club as the Lancers spoiled the Buccaneer season opener by rallying past the Blue and Gold, 6-4, on Sunday afternoon at Thomas Stadium.
The Bucs got productive at-bats from juniors Chris Riopedre and Zach Thompson as they combined for five of ETSU's 10 hits on the day and also accounted for all four RBI.
Thompson drove in the first run of the season with an RBI double in the second, while he later scored on a single by Riopedre.
Meanwhile, Riopedre put the Blue and Gold back up by a pair of runs with a two-run home run in the fourth. Riopedre went 3-for-4 with three RBI and Thompson was 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored. Riopedre's three hits and three RBI tied career highs for the junior infielder.
Senior Clinton Freeman suffered the loss as he was charged with five runs (three earned) on nine hits, while striking out five and walking none.
However, Longwood right-hander Aaron Myers out-dueled the Buccaneer southpaw as he issued four runs on nine hits and struck out seven in eight innings of work to earn the win.
Sophomore righty Travis Burnette escaped a jam in the ninth to earn the save.
As a team, the Lancers out-hit the Bucs, 11-10, while a pair of fielding miscues came back to haunt the Bucs.
Longwood used a passed ball by freshman Gage Downey to later score an unearned run in the fifth, while a two-out throwing error by junior Jordan Sanford plated the game-winning run in the seventh for the Lancers.
The teams finish the series Monday afternoon with a doubleheader beginning at noon.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge