Longwood rallies past Bucs, 6-4, in home season opener
Despite holding a pair of two-run leads early on, the ETSU baseball team couldn't hold off a scrappy Longwood club as the Lancers spoiled the Buccaneer season opener by rallying past the Blue and Gold, 6-4, on Sunday afternoon at Thomas Stadium.
The Bucs got productive at-bats from juniors Chris Riopedre and Zach Thompson as they combined for five of ETSU's 10 hits on the day and also accounted for all four RBI.
Thompson drove in the first run of the season with an RBI double in the second, while he later scored on a single by Riopedre.
Meanwhile, Riopedre put the Blue and Gold back up by a pair of runs with a two-run home run in the fourth. Riopedre went 3-for-4 with three RBI and Thompson was 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored. Riopedre's three hits and three RBI tied career highs for the junior infielder.
Senior Clinton Freeman suffered the loss as he was charged with five runs (three earned) on nine hits, while striking out five and walking none.
However, Longwood right-hander Aaron Myers out-dueled the Buccaneer southpaw as he issued four runs on nine hits and struck out seven in eight innings of work to earn the win.
Sophomore righty Travis Burnette escaped a jam in the ninth to earn the save.
As a team, the Lancers out-hit the Bucs, 11-10, while a pair of fielding miscues came back to haunt the Bucs.
Longwood used a passed ball by freshman Gage Downey to later score an unearned run in the fifth, while a two-out throwing error by junior Jordan Sanford plated the game-winning run in the seventh for the Lancers.
The teams finish the series Monday afternoon with a doubleheader beginning at noon.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More East Tennessean News Articles
Recent East Tennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EAST TENNESSEAN NEWS
RECENT EAST TENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership