Longwood rallies past Bucs, 6-4, in home season opener
Despite holding a pair of two-run leads early on, the ETSU baseball team couldn't hold off a scrappy Longwood club as the Lancers spoiled the Buccaneer season opener by rallying past the Blue and Gold, 6-4, on Sunday afternoon at Thomas Stadium.
The Bucs got productive at-bats from juniors Chris Riopedre and Zach Thompson as they combined for five of ETSU's 10 hits on the day and also accounted for all four RBI.
Thompson drove in the first run of the season with an RBI double in the second, while he later scored on a single by Riopedre.
Meanwhile, Riopedre put the Blue and Gold back up by a pair of runs with a two-run home run in the fourth. Riopedre went 3-for-4 with three RBI and Thompson was 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored. Riopedre's three hits and three RBI tied career highs for the junior infielder.
Senior Clinton Freeman suffered the loss as he was charged with five runs (three earned) on nine hits, while striking out five and walking none.
However, Longwood right-hander Aaron Myers out-dueled the Buccaneer southpaw as he issued four runs on nine hits and struck out seven in eight innings of work to earn the win.
Sophomore righty Travis Burnette escaped a jam in the ninth to earn the save.
As a team, the Lancers out-hit the Bucs, 11-10, while a pair of fielding miscues came back to haunt the Bucs.
Longwood used a passed ball by freshman Gage Downey to later score an unearned run in the fifth, while a two-out throwing error by junior Jordan Sanford plated the game-winning run in the seventh for the Lancers.
The teams finish the series Monday afternoon with a doubleheader beginning at noon.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More easttennessean News Articles
Recent easttennessean News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST EASTTENNESSEAN NEWS
- University cleared after being accused of research missteps, plans to improve
- The Jubilee solution will eliminate the student loan crisis
- SGA has insight for students
- Public safety waiting for info on sexual assaults
- Halloween movies to impress moviegoers
- Defining your measure of worth
- Small groups can turn into big voices
RECENT EASTTENNESSEAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!