Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Noland recovering, hopes to return to campus soon

Published: Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 23:12

On Nov. 19, ETSU President Brian Noland was involved in a car accident at the intersection of West Market Street and West Watauga Avenue. Noland proceeded through the intersection when his light turned green. He collided with a 1997 Freightliner F50 Truck, driven by Jackie White, 34, who had run the red light at the intersection.

Noland was injured at the scene when his vehicle struck a utility pole. He was taken to Johnson City Medical Center following the accident. Noland was released from the hospital on Nov. 22.

Noland has been recuperating at his home. He plans to make a full recovery and to return to the campus later this month.

There hasn’t been a return date set for Noland, but as he progresses over the following weeks, talks of a date will begin.

“He is doing well and expects to recover and be back at the campus soon. He has been in contact with everyone in the office frequently,” said Joe Smith, executive assistant to the president for university relations.

According to Sgt. Jim Tallmadge of the Johnson City Police Department, running red lights is a common thing to happen in the area. As a result of the accident, White received a traffic violation citation and was given 10 days to resolve a driver’s license status issue.

“The driver’s license status was a pre-existing issue with White. It had absolutely nothing to do with the accident,” said Tallmadge. “If Noland had not been involved in the accident with White, we would have never known about the driver’s license status of White. That’s not to downplay what happened, because it was a very serious deal.”

Wilsie Bishop, chief operating officer and vice president for health affairs, will continue to work in place of Noland until he returns to work.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out